Connect Vga Monitor to Hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubasjl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I have a Nvidia 8500GT that has 1 video, 1 Hdmi, and 1 dvi.Using the dvi and have an adapter that turns it to vga. What I want to do is either use a splitter for the dvi or use the hdmi with some sort of cable. Now both monitors are old crt vga connections.

Solution
I did research on this a while ago, and here's what I came up with. When you look at the signals going over the cables from your graphics card, there are basically two types - analog (vga) and digital (dvi, hdmi). Converting from one to the other requires an active adapter. Fortunately for you, dvi is designed to have backwards compatibility, and has analog signals flowing alongside the digital ones. The adapter you have most likely just connects these signals to a vga connector. Unfortunately for you, hdmi doesn't have these backwards compatible signals. So you can go from dvi to vga, or from hdmi to dvi, but you can't go from hdmi to vga with passive adapters.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I did research on this a while ago, and here's what I came up with. When you look at the signals going over the cables from your graphics card, there are basically two types - analog (vga) and digital (dvi, hdmi). Converting from one to the other requires an active adapter. Fortunately for you, dvi is designed to have backwards compatibility, and has analog signals flowing alongside the digital ones. The adapter you have most likely just connects these signals to a vga connector. Unfortunately for you, hdmi doesn't have these backwards compatible signals. So you can go from dvi to vga, or from hdmi to dvi, but you can't go from hdmi to vga with passive adapters.

Solution

mancanfly

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
elel,
I have a Dell XPS that doesn't have VGA out port. How can then I connect it to a VGA based projector?
Would
1. HDMI --> DVI cable

2. ..followed by DVI to VGA cable

work?

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Unfortunately, no. There is just no analog signal in a HDMI port, and VGA is an analog connection. I'm sure that they sell active adapters, but I'm having no luck finding any with a quick search. Since that's a notebook, a cheap graphics card wouldn't do the trick either. I don't know if you have a dvi port on that computer, but if you do it is easy to find passive adapters from DVI to VGA. Other than that, I saw several usb to vga adapters while searching, but I have no idea how or how well they work.

anubhabpaul

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

I am also having Dell XPS Laptop. There is a MiniDisplay Port near the HDMI port. Use a MiniDIsplay to VGA converter to connect the projector.

SO simple...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.