Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Difference Between 128 Bit and 256 Bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 13, 2011 9:57:40 AM

First,sorry if wrong section..

1.What is the difference between graphic card 128 Bit and 256 Bit? It is 256 Bit is more powerful than 128 bit?

2.Can anyone suggest to me the best graphic card that $ 250 below..
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 10:27:32 AM

128 bit and 256 bit are referring to the width of the GPU's Memory Bus.
It is one of three items that define the Memory Bandwidth, the other two being the type of RAM and the speed of the RAM.

Just because a GPU has a wider memory bus does not mean however that it has more memory bandwidth.
As an example, the GTX 260 has a 448 bit memory bus and 111.9GB/s bandwidth where the 4890 has a 256 bit memory bus and 115.2GB/s bandwidth.
This is because the 4890 uses GDDR5 RAM as compared to GDDR3 on the GTX 260.

As for your second question, I would recommend an ATI 6870 for around $230.
It will give you plenty of performance and is priced to move.
Score
0
January 13, 2011 12:11:24 PM

outlw6669 said:
128 bit and 256 bit are referring to the width of the GPU's Memory Bus.
It is one of three items that define the Memory Bandwidth, the other two being the type of RAM and the speed of the RAM.

Just because a GPU has a wider memory bus does not mean however that it has more memory bandwidth.
As an example, the GTX 260 has a 448 bit memory bus and 111.9GB/s bandwidth where the 4890 has a 256 bit memory bus and 115.2GB/s bandwidth.
This is because the 4890 uses GDDR5 RAM as compared to GDDR3 on the GTX 260.

As for your second question, I would recommend an ATI 6870 for around $230.
It will give you plenty of performance and is priced to move.



Sorry,I have wrongly put $ 250 below.
My Current Budget is $ 200 below..
Could you suggest to me what graphic card are best around $ 200 below..
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 12:24:15 PM

Could you please mention your full computer specs first.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 12:27:34 PM

In the under $200 range, I would recommend either a GTX 460 1GB or ATI 6850.
Both have similar performance and can be had for around $180.
Score
0
January 13, 2011 12:30:54 PM

outlw6669 said:
In the under $200 range, I would recommend either a GTX 460 1GB or ATI 6850.
Both have similar performance and can be had for around $180.



Thank You...

Another thing,
What is The suitable power supply to support this graphic card ?
I only have 500 Watt
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 12:32:28 PM

Please post the brand, +12v amperage and model of your PSU.
If it is a quality unit, 500w is more than enough.
Score
0
January 13, 2011 12:41:48 PM

outlw6669 said:
Please post the brand, +12v amperage and model of your PSU.
If it is a quality unit, 500w is more than enough.




I don't know where to find it..
All i know is only my psu brand >
COOLER MASTER 550W EXTREME POWER PLUS PSU
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 12:55:01 PM

^^Change it. That is one of the crappiest PSU you can find. But as i asked your complete specs please.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 12:55:55 PM

You can find an excelent review for your CM eXtreme Power Plus 550w Here.
Basically, it is only able to deliver 500w before failing and its efficiency is quite low.
While it is not a very good unit and I would never recommend buying it new, it should be enough to run a moderate system along with either of the above GPUs.
Score
0
January 13, 2011 12:59:43 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
^^Change it. That is one of the crappiest PSU you can find. But as i asked your complete specs please.





MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
4 GB Dual Channel Kingston DDR2
500 Gb WD Caviar Green
Gigabyte M61SME-S2 (Socket M2)
Amd Athlon X2 Dual Core 4800 +
ATI Radeon HD 4650
COOLER MASTER 550W EXTREME POWER PLUS PSU


I prefer to choose Nvidia GTX 460..
Can my specs support this graphic card?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 1:03:39 PM

Which monitor?

Your motherboard can surely support the cards mentioned by outlaw6669, but i am concerned about the bottleneck that your CPU would create for the card.
Score
0
January 13, 2011 1:07:56 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Which monitor?

Your motherboard can surely support the cards mentioned by outlaw6669, but i am concerned about the bottleneck that your CPU would create for the card.



I am a beginner..
What is meant by bottleneck??
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 1:08:21 PM

Yes. you should be fine.
Just be sure to budget for a new quality PSU the next time you upgrade.

To reduce any CPU bottleneck you may end up having, it may be prudent to overclock you CPU a bit.
You can locate a good guide Here and there are plenty of experienced overclockers on the forum if you run into any issues.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 1:13:48 PM

hadismkay said:
I am a beginner..
What is meant by bottleneck??

A bottleneck is when one of your components is slower than the others and ends up limiting your performance.
In this case, your older CPU will probably bottleneck your GPU at all but the highest resolutions preventing you from utilizing your GPUs maximum performance.
Bottlenecking generally occurs in all systems to some degree, but is more pronounced under cases like yours.

That is not to say that you will see no increase in performance.
Quite the opposite, even with your older CPU you should still see a massive increase in performance when compared to your old 4650.
By overclocking your CPU you should be able to gain even more performance.
Share
January 13, 2011 1:22:07 PM

outlw6669 said:
A bottleneck is when one of your components is slower than the others and ends up limiting your performance.
In this case, your older CPU will probably bottleneck your GPU at all but the highest resolutions preventing you from utilizing your GPUs maximum performance.
Bottlenecking generally occurs in all systems to some degree, but is more pronounced under cases like yours.

That is not to say that you will see no increase in performance.
Quite the opposite, even with your older CPU you should still see a massive increase in performance when compared to your old 4650.
By overclocking your CPU you should be able to gain even more performance.



Thats mean my processor is slow and i have to buy a new one that good than my old athlon...
Aaahh,,must withdraw money again..
Thanks for the information >"outlw6669"..
Score
0
January 13, 2011 1:22:44 PM

Best answer selected by hadismkay.
Score
0
December 24, 2011 9:28:44 PM

If your ever thinking about uprading your processor, you should really consider just upgrading your motherboard & processor together.

Not only can you find some pretty decent package deals, but replacing a CPU is risky. Easy, but risky if you have never done it before. For a novice, it's best to get both of them brand new so you only have to install, not uninstall (Sometimes companies will install the CPU in the motherboard for you prior to being shipped as per your direction).

Also I see your motherboard only supports DDR2 quality RAM. Yet another "bottleneck" if u will. Find a motherboard with DDR3 & SATA III capabilities. They are out there for well under $100.

P.S. If your processor shopping, and looking for cheap & fast? Check out the AMD Phenom II x6 series. Probably the cheapest, fastest processors on the market atm.
Score
0
!