Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I just built a beautiful new Gaming PC
Siliverstone Temjin Case
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z MoBo
Asus 580GTX Vid Card
2 Corsair Force 3 SSDs
4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 4gb mem sticks

The last part is the problem. I can get the box running nicely with any 2 of the 4 sticks of RAM in Dimms A1 and A2, or any 1 of the 4 in Dimm A2, but cannot get it running with all 4, 2 in Dimms A2 and B2 (the recommended spaces for 2 sticks) or any 1 in Dimms B1 or B2.

I have played with various memory voltages to no avail. The handy onboard LEDs give code 58 (CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error) ONLY with the memory setups that won't work.

I'm not too worried in the short term, as I won't see much benefit from the extra RAM, but am concerned there is something wrong with the MoBo. I want to get it working so I can get some sleep!

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
and did you change your stock cpu cooler?if yes then if the cooler has a backplate, on the backplate,insert four nylon/silicon washers (Maplins) on each screw. to stop backplate from making any metal to metal contact with the motherboard.

triptyck

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
i`m having a similar problem:

Asus Maximus V Gene mAtx
Corsair DDR3-1866 4 x 4GB (matched)
i5-3570K

if i populate DIMM A1 or A2, it won`t post. Gives error 55 - memory.
if i populate B1, or B2, or B1+B2, then it posts and loads windows no problem.

I`ve tried testing all four in different configurations, and if A1 or A2 are used, it just won`t post.
I`ve flashed the latest BIOS (1101, if i recall correctly), made sure all DIMM are enabled in BIOS, reseated all memory and the CPU and the stock cooler, tried manually setting the RAM to DDR3-1333 1.5v, and gone through an arcane ritual of CMOS CLRs, «BIOS loads, power downs, and resets to appease the machine god, but no luck.

Its very perplexing.

There seems to be some uncertainly on various forums whether its the fault of the BIOS, an aftermarket cooler affecting the CPU by being tightened down too much, the RAM, or the mobo. I`m kind of at a loss... I don`t know if RMAìng the mobo would even fix the issue! So instead of 16gb of dual channel, I`m running 8gb single channel. boo urns.

I`d cross post this on the Asus ROG forum, but it seems to be down.

Chip Smith

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

trip, did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the same exact issue.

triptyck

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

actually, dude, i DID solve this :) I thought i had followed up on all my tech forums when i was problem-solving this, but obviously not....

let me cut and paste from my post on the AsusTek forum:

Before I boxed up my motherboard for an RMA situation, I took another close look at my land grid. It all seemed normal. I flipped over the CPU itself, and looked at the contacts, making sure each one had a small indentation in the centre from the corresponding pin in the socket itself. And lo, one pin along the outside perimeter did not quite line up in the center. I looked back at the socket, identified the pin, and it was indeed a mm or so off.

20 minutes with a sewing needle and a magnifying glass, and I had brought the pin back to center. Seated my CPU again, locked it down, loaded up all 4 DIMMS, and it booted up, no more problems. :)

Hope this helps with your issue, as well!

tomumo

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I just had to register just to thank you, triptyck. I had almost lost faith in ever solving the issue but then found this thread. However I had a little different approach. I took a photo of the socket and by zooming in the photo was able to check each pin. Bragging: I used only a lamp and a needle as I didn't have a magnifying glass. I was quite lucky and it was all good in the end. Everything runs smoothly now.

Thanks again!

Edit: typo

Mzy85

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I know this is an old post but it seems to be a popular one for anyone looking for help with these older mobo's and getting 4 dims to work.

If you are getting the debug error 58 at all with newer ram, eg Corsair Vengeance Pro or Dominator Plats, Try using 1 stick in a dim that does boot, then manually setup the correct ram timing & ram voltage in the bios. (see product or website for those details) Then you are forcing the correct instructions for the module detection.

Debug Error 58 is common to get when the mobo/bios just can't detect the correct timing on newer ram to use, and the auto setting fail to be compatible with the newer ram. I personally have 16Gb (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz cas 11-11-11-27 1.5v. And I now enjoy all 4 dims working correctly after doing the manual setup.

This function would be solved with a simple bios update that has greater support for newer ram, but since Z68 is so old now there is no point in them doing it.

I hope this helps anyone else looks for a solution as it drove me crazy trying to search for answers.

amidMany

Honorable
Mar 26, 2015

Ditto I Couldn't believe that I would have to do all that work to make my dimm s take but it worked!!! there were 2 contacts untouched by socket. bent them up a bit, verified connection and I got the beep. had to reset my bios settings to get windows to load now everything works!!