Sign in with
Your question

Lags

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 1:28:01 PM

hi guys...i have been experiencing low framerates in a lot of games..even though my configuration isint bad at all..

my specs are
phenom II x4 955(no overclock)
asus M4A785TDV-EVO mobo
cooler master 600 watt power supply
sapphire hd 5850 and transcend 4 gb ddr3 memory at 1333 mhz

i have been experiencing..low frame rates in prototype,assassins creed 2, splinter cell conviction,

and yeah i play on full 1080p..resolution.!!

More about : lags

a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 1:52:21 PM

Few things to check is how much RAM your system is using, you only have 4GB and if you have a lot of things opened while gaming, you'll be surprised how much is used.

Also, another thing to check is make sure your temps are low and not getting too high. High temps can slow down your system.

Lastly, the higher the resolution you have, the better video card you'll need, or the lower settings you'll need to use. So since you are playing at 1920x1080, you may want to drop down to medium settings on some of those games.

I dunno where your bottleneck is though, your processor or your video card. I'm sure someone else knows better about that.
m
l
a c 188 U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 2:20:07 PM

You need to list what low frame rates are, and what settings do you use in the games. The 5850 is a pretty good card, but if you play at high settings you can drop to 20-30 fps easily in those games depending on the area. Also check the drivers, get the ones online, not the ones on the CD that came with the card. The CD is usually a step or 2 behind.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 2:33:11 PM

I'm not too fond of cooler master PSU, can you go in the bios and see if the voltage ratings are with in specs for the lines listed, 12v, 5v, and 3.3v.

A better solution is to get a voltmeter and check the lines but doing this you have to make sure you know what you are doing not recommended for someone that is not familiar with electronics.
m
l
a c 188 U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 2:35:26 PM

accolite said:
I'm not too fond of cooler master PSU, can you go in the bios and see if the voltage ratings are with in specs for the lines listed, 12v, 5v, and 3.3v.

A better solution is to get a voltmeter and check the lines but doing this you have to make sure you know what you are doing not recommended for someone that is not familiar with electronics.

What will this do for low frame rates? If he was having a power supply issue the PC would be rebooting, locking up or not working.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 2:59:16 PM

Cooler Master PSUs are good, there extreme addition had some bad reviews, but beside that they rate well. There is a thread in the PSU section that rates the different PSUs, you can see there.
m
l
January 13, 2011 6:22:28 PM

I can only speak from experience, I have had some bad experiences with cooler master.

"What will this do for low frame rates? If he was having a power supply issue the PC would be rebooting, locking up or not working. "

Not always it can cause instability on load.
Getting too little amp from the rail/rails will bog down your card because it's not getting enough juice, hence low frame rates.
m
l
January 14, 2011 2:29:09 AM

from all the reviews that i have seen i should be getting decent frame rates in all these games...
the max that i get in prototype on everything maxed out is 110 to 115 and sometimes it drops down to 20to 30...in some places..the frame rate is not constant..

where as in assassins creed 2 everything is maxed out except for v-sync..and i get a crappy frame rate of 20 to 25 frames..but i have seen people with same config as mine getting constant 60 in this game with everything maxed out including the v-sync

and in splinter cell i get around 15 to 20 frames on everything maxed..but not the v-sync..but many ppl get a frame rate of 40 to 45 in this game with same config..

i havent checked the solution of checking the amount of ram usage and the cpu temp as suggested by pallimud...will give this a try and post wether the solution is solved or not..thank you everyone for your suggestions!!
m
l
January 15, 2011 2:33:32 AM

Pallimud said:
Few things to check is how much RAM your system is using, you only have 4GB and if you have a lot of things opened while gaming, you'll be surprised how much is used.

Also, another thing to check is make sure your temps are low and not getting too high. High temps can slow down your system.

Lastly, the higher the resolution you have, the better video card you'll need, or the lower settings you'll need to use. So since you are playing at 1920x1080, you may want to drop down to medium settings on some of those games.

I dunno where your bottleneck is though, your processor or your video card. I'm sure someone else knows better about that.

so do i need more ram? and a better heat sink?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2011 9:26:10 PM

Well, you need to check, I can't tell you without knowing what your temperatures are and how much RAM is available.

You can use HWMonitor to get the temps and just use windows task manager to get the available RAM.
m
l
!