Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intelligence Gathering: Radeon HD 6990

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 3:11:01 PM

I've come late to the party on the new line of 69xx cards, so I've been searching all around to try to find out as much information on the upcoming dual GPU offering. Of course, I'm talking about the somewhat elusive Radeon HD 6990 (Antilles - based on dual Cayman). I've got a system built, ready for a screaming fast graphics card, and I'm lacking in the 6990 information department.

There are a few things I'd like to know more about:

1) Release date - A lot of sites mention Q1 2011. Some forum members say "really soon" or "near future", but most are unspecific for lack of any knowledge. I know that NDAs prevent AMD, and others from releasing this information to the public, but if some are saying "really soon", I'm hoping someone out there might have a better idea as to *when* in Q1 2011 we'll see a release. I imagine most are in the same boat, and we don't actually have an idea of when just yet.

2) Well, we know its been stated that this release will fall in Q1 2011, but my question is, where was this confirmed? I know the leaked slides detailing the specs and release info for the 69xx cards were confirmed to be fakes. Where was the 6990 announced? I'm not doubting that it was, but I'm just curious where and when the announcement was made.

3) Price! Other people seem to think in the $700 range. They currently (correct me if I'm wrong) have no current generation cards occupying the $500 price point, competing directly with nvidia's 580. Would it be out of line to assume that the card will be somewhere in the $500 - $600 range on release? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions or predictions?

Thanks for the discussion!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 3:41:17 PM

The card is supposed to be released in January, based on the information that's been going around.

If the 5970 is any indicator, which is probably is, demand for these extremely powerful single cards is going to be higher than supply. Prices on 5970's got a bit silly high for a long time. Having the performance of a powerful crossfire/sli setup in a single card is very appealing for a lot of reasons, so expect to pay a bit of a premium based on that demand. A potential game changer could be NVidia's upcoming dual GPU card, which hopefully could drive prices down a little with some more competition in the dual GPU, super high end market segment. I wouldn't expect to pick one of these up for $600 or less.
January 13, 2011 4:16:49 PM

Thanks a lot for the insight, and taking the time. Good point about the appeal and demand. One thing I've found odd about trying to research this thing is that through basic web searching, there is far less anticipation-chatter about it than I would've expected. Its good to know others are probably just as anxious as I am.

I hope they do release it in January. What sort of information has been going around? Otherwise I'll end up settling on a 6970 for now, and possibly another when newer games become too demanding for the single GPU. I just know that as soon as I install the 6970, the 6990 will be released. I didn't wait for Sandy Bridge, but the exact same thing occurred when I installed my i7 950... However, there is typically no avoiding this sort of situation in PC building and purchasing, so no worries there.
m
l
January 14, 2011 2:08:01 PM

Best answer selected by cky880.
m
l
!