Uther39

Distinguished
OK heres the question, my wifes current PC which she uses for general stuff like web browsing, word processing, file transfers and light gaming (only game she plays is SIMS 3 @ 1080p). Currently has a AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) fitted to it, i was thinking a Quad core may be better, i have a spare AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840 "95W Edition" 3.20GHz (Socket AM3), would the 840 give her any system improvements at all, would its lack of L3 cache be a detriment to her SIMS 3 game ?

Current PC setup =

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz
MSI 870-C45 AMD 770 Chipset (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6670 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
525W EMAX EMD525AWT MODU82+ PSU
WINDOWS 7 32 bit

YOur thoughts opinions please ?

I'd say any increase on the number of cores there far outweighs any benefit from L3
upping the Os to a 64bit one would be useful as well if thats an option
and your tagline is right Sir, oh the possibilities the mind can conceive when the body is incapable of acting upon them :)
Moto

Uther39

Distinguished
My biggest concer here is that going to the 840 would be detrimental to her SIMS 3 exploits, on a side note the 6670 runs it beautifully at 1080p on max settings. The PC is connected to a SAMSUNG 46" LED TV via HDMI making it truly a site to behold, i just dont want to ruin it by throwing an 840 in there which i understand will be better for multitasking but not so sure if that lack of L3 would have an impact and maybe cause a bottle kneck to the 6670?

I'm sure that the quad is the better option, the L3 'loss' isn't going to affect Sims, My other half is on Medievil sims right now on a x3 435 at 2.9GHz (I unlocked it to 4 cores and secretly O/ced it to 3.2GHz)
Moto

Houston ... We have a problem :)

Otherwise ... for the Sis Rig I do not believe you will see any big difference between the 840 quad and X2 555, but I would tend toward the X2 because of the L3, unlocked multiplier and lower stock voltage ...

You would also not see the impact/latency from 'load-balancing' across 4 cores which can induce a slight drag.

The modding thread is up uther, 'hack my pc 101' on cpu section and ready to add your stuff to :)
As for the original issue, I guess we'll have to wait till your Mrs goes visiting the family for a week then you can swap chips and do some benching :p
Moto