Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Memory Question/Advice?

Last response: in Memory
February 19, 2012 4:52:36 AM

Hi Everyone, I have been searching for the best memory for my ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 MoBo and came across this article:

If I understood it correctly, using Kingston's HyperX series of XMP 1.3 Memory Modules can give my system a 19.2% performance boost.

Seeing that I am kinda new at this stuff, I was wondering if some of you guys could take a look at what I have been reading and confirm or reject what I am thinking of doing?

Here is the link to the ASRock supported memory page:

Now I'm thinking that the best possible choice for me is going to be this:

PnP - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL11 DIMM

PartNumber: KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G

Specs: DDR3, 1866MHz, Unbuffered, 1.5V, Non-ECC,

I chose this Ram because It seems to be the fastest HyperX modules available that are both 1.5v and are 2x4GB sticks for a total of 8GB. I will probably install another set of these later on to make it 16GB total.

Please let me know what your opinions are about my using this Memory.

Thanks Again,
Antiflow.

More about : memory question advice

February 19, 2012 6:43:56 AM

Don't be taken in by marketing hype. These benchmarks are very specific and only show the performance of a single subsytem and don't have much relevance to overall system performance. Anything faster than DDR3-1600 is really overkill for the Core-i5. At best, you'll see a 2-4% improvement in overall performance.

For the money, CAS8 DDR3-1600 is the best bang you're going to get.
a b } Memory
February 19, 2012 7:27:04 AM

antiflow said:

If I understood it correctly, using Kingston's HyperX series of XMP 1.3 Memory Modules can give my system a 19.2% performance boost.

:pfff: 
Probably true as far as it goes. But you need to look very closely at exactly what "performance" is being "boosted".

I suspect that they are talking about memory i/o. Unfortunately, an increase (or decrease) in memory i/o has a negligible effect on overall system performance.

Save your money and get 1.5 volt DDR3-1600 RAM.
Related resources
February 19, 2012 7:33:09 AM

sewalk said:
Don't be taken in by marketing hype. These benchmarks are very specific and only show the performance of a single subsytem and don't have much relevance to overall system performance. Anything faster than DDR3-1600 is really overkill for the Core-i5. At best, you'll see a 2-4% improvement in overall performance.

For the money, CAS8 DDR3-1600 is the best bang you're going to get.

Hi Thanks for getting back to me on this, I am running an i7-2600k on this board, but due to the article I read, that is from ASRock, supposedly If I use the Kingston HyperX memory specifically designed for the Intel XMP 1.3 profile there is a 19.2% gain in performance. It didn't say exactly what speed memory they were using though...

So, I found the Highest speed available (1866MHz) HyperX modules in a 2x4gb-sticks= 8GB Kit and that had a recommended sandy bridge voltage of 1.5v. All the other kits and speeds were 1.65v and I had heard that the 1.65v could possibly burn the controller.

Also, are the timing's on this ram going to be ok for my build?

Thanks Again

Best solution

February 19, 2012 8:11:53 AM

That quoted 19.2% gain is merely for memory reads. That will have a negligible impact on real-world applications.

Countless reviews available all over the internet have shown that there are no real gains for Sandy Bridge CPUs with RAM faster than DDR3-1600. Spending money on anything faster is not recommended by anyone without a financial interest in your purchase of their premium products.
February 26, 2012 2:29:15 AM

Best answer selected by antiflow.
a c 146 } Memory
February 26, 2012 2:58:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!