Gaming Laptop Advice

Jaser

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: August-September 2011
Budget Range: $1200-$2500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming-School-Web Surfing

Parts Not Required: Mouse, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com, newegg.com, or any company site (e.g. Nvidia.com)

Country of Origin: Don't care

Parts Preferences: Known: GeForce GTX 470m/480m/485m, a Quad Core Intel CPU(or a laptop equivalent), 8 gigs of RAM, Water Cooler/AMD Fan Cooler
Don't care about: Optical Drive
Need advice on: Sound Card, Power Supply, Hard Drives

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: unknown

Additional Comments: I know next to nothing about hardware, so I really need some help here. Like I said, advice on what to do, I've read the Guide to Choosing Parts but I'm still unsure of everything. Any help would be very appreciated.

Hello Jaser;

You have plenty of time between now and August to get to know your options.
Over that period of time you can expect some pretty good changes as well.

A good place to look over those options is www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops
They have a wide range of gaming systems from Asus, MSI and Sager/Clevo.
You'll find just about anything you're mentioned in your parts preferences (except for water cooling).

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I agree with WR2, its a little early to gt recommendations as there are a lot of new things on the horizon.

For example the Sandy Bridge CPU is the "CPU" of choice with the Cougar Point Rev 3 chipset, but somewhere in the Q2 time frame Intel will debut there new Z68 chipset for the Sandy Bridge with all new bells and whistles. Then there is AMD's "Bulldozer" CPU's and Chipset which are on the verge of launch around the same time. Don't even get me started on Graphics cards.... get my point.

I would wait and re-ask your question about 1-2 weeks out from your build/order day. The community is usually very fast at getting advice out to members. most of our buy recommendation are be based on current sale pricing of components.

For example: on a PSU, there might be a Corsair 750HX for $127 which is about $20 off the regular price and a good buy, but had it not been on sale I may have recommended an SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W which $130 regular price. Both are good PSU's but it's nice to save money now an then and I prefer Corsair PSU's for builds when they fit into the budget.

In the mean time keep reading articles and reviews of what's new and on the horizon, so when its time you can ask the right questions when building.

TRENDING THREADS