Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P2 4 pin connector to a new psu 6 pin connector

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2011 3:54:42 PM

I am replacing a 300W Gateway Delta PSU with a coolmax 500w PSU. The new PSU comes with a 6 pin connector where the MBoard has a 4 pin female connection. I plugged in the bottom 4 males and they fit properly. the other 2 pins hang over the plug, but I only get power to the on/off switch on the front panel. None of my fans are running. What now?

Best solution

June 24, 2011 12:44:23 AM

the single 6-Pin connector is PCI-Express power used mainly for video cards. Your PSU should have a 4-Pin ATX12V P4 connector just like your old 300w gateway or it may have the newer 8-Pin version (EPS) of it which should be able to split into two separate connectors and provide you with the same 4-Pin ATX12V P4 connector. As a general rule, if a power connector doesnt fit properly, never force it in and turn on your computer.
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 24, 2011 9:20:21 AM

The PCIe power plugs are wired differently from the 4/8 CPU power plugs. using one in the wrong lace will result in shorting 12 volts directly to ground.

Congratulations. :)  You now know the the overload/short circuit protection on the PSU works. You could have fried either the PSU or the motherboard.
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:47:18 PM

brianbuys said:
the single 6-Pin connector is PCI-Express power used mainly for video cards. Your PSU should have a 4-Pin ATX12V P4 connector just like your old 300w gateway or it may have the newer 8-Pin version (EPS) of it which should be able to split into two separate connectors and provide you with the same 4-Pin ATX12V P4 connector. As a general rule, if a power connector doesnt fit properly, never force it in and turn on your computer.

You are correct, there was a (EPS) 8 pin plug that I separated into two 4 pin plugs. Each having 2 yellow and 2 black wires. I used that as the plug on the motherboard and it is up and running.
Thanks for the reply.
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:47:56 PM

Best answer selected by capricorn1155.
m
l
!