Sign in with
Your question

I'm duplicating displays but the 2nd display is blurry when gaming.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 5:46:08 PM

Computer Specifications

Processor: i7-920 (overclocked to 3.2 GHz)
Motherboard: Rampage III Gene
Primary Video Card: EVGA GTX 460 External Exhaust
Secondary Video Card: EVGA GTX 460 Internal Exhaust
RAM: 12 Gigabytes G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600
HDD: Two 300GB 10,000 RPM Velociraptors in Raid 0
PSU: Cooler Master 850 Watt Gold Certified
Primary Display: 1920x1080 23" Samsung BX2331 LED Monitor
Secondary Display: 1920x1080 46" Sony Bravia LCD TV

Problem

When running a game, the Sony TV is blurred and looks like crap. The TV is fine when I'm running anything other then a game like movies, messaging and browsing.

Hypothesis

None, I'm stumped. Maybe I need a TV Tuner Card? But I have no clue as to what those are, brb google.

Attempted methods of correction.

Altered settings on TV. Didn't work.
Altered settings in Nvidia control panel. Didn't work.
Googled for solutions. Didn't work.
Pounding head on desk in frustration. Worked temporarily.

Could someone please help me with this? My gratitude will never end.
January 13, 2011 5:51:27 PM

Never ending gratitude...? Seems worth a shot lol.

Can you try playing your games in Windowed Mode and see if that also causes the display issue. I doubt it, it is probably just something related to full screen programs (which are pretty much only games).
January 13, 2011 5:54:06 PM

Here is something, I think probably the resolution is changing once you switch to a full screen game and is causing the blurryness until you close the game.

On the TV, switch it to gaming mode, see if that helps.
Related resources
January 13, 2011 5:59:04 PM

Also try this, go to the Screen Settings on the TV then go to Display Area, and then turn on Full Pixel. See if that helps....

(I really want the never ending gratitude, could be useful in the future :p )
January 13, 2011 7:39:23 PM

I've tried Windowed mode before but to make things more specific, the screen blurs when I have a game running whether it's maximized or minimized, doesn't matter as long as the program is open. The TV will blur.

I've switched the TV in between both Gaming mode and Automatic mode multiple times before but both times, it doesn't help.

It's already on Full Pixel.

You have my gratitude =P but it's not never ending just yet since I won't remember your brave soul every time I turn on my TV and see a non-blurred screen hahahahahah
January 13, 2011 7:48:16 PM

What is the frame rate/frequency on the tv (and monitor)? You can see it through nvidia's control panel or windows I believe.
a b Î Nvidia
January 13, 2011 7:59:49 PM

What game(s)? Is the resolution staying at 1920x1080, or is it changing to something else?
January 13, 2011 8:06:29 PM

Also, you said duplicating your display? So they are both displaying the same thing? Try doing extended desktop instead and see what happens.

(on that note, why are you duplicating the display, are people watching you play or something?)
January 13, 2011 9:14:58 PM

The monitor is 60 Hertz and the TV is 120 Hertz but I don't think that information is relevant to the problem.

I'm using it to play Starcraft II, Heroes of Newerth and the korean TERA Online beta. I'm not sure where I can track whether or not the resolution changes when I open the game but I do have the game's resolution set to the same resolution as my monitor/TV which is 1920x1080.

I'm duplicating the display because the monitor is aimed towards my desk and the TV towards my couch. This way all I have to do when I want to watch movies/anime is turn off the monitor and get off the chair, go outside grab a snack and drink then come back in and flop down onto my sofa and use my wireless mouse/keyboard to control the computer from my sofa. I used a super long USB cable and stretched it around the perimeter of my room and tucked it in underneath the cushions of my sofa so I have excellent connectivity.

I also tested the extended display and no, it does not blur when extended but I would still prefer duplicated screens.
a b Î Nvidia
January 13, 2011 9:36:59 PM

Wait a minute...you're using a USB cable to drive the TV, not HDMI or even DVI?
January 13, 2011 9:40:37 PM

No no no, I'm using HDMI for the TV and DVI for the monitor. The USB is for the wireless receiver on my wireless mouse/keyboard. Sorry for the miscommunication.
a c 84 Î Nvidia
January 14, 2011 4:50:42 AM

What is your definition of blur? Is it ghosting of the image?

Do you have Motionflow turned on or off?
January 14, 2011 5:34:02 AM

By blur, I mean not clear and not sharp. The entire screen becomes blurred when I turn on a game.

My TV doesn't have Motionflow
a c 84 Î Nvidia
January 14, 2011 5:48:54 AM

What is the Sony model number?

You said the TV is 120 Hz. Is it a 3D TV? If it's not 3D then the 120 Hz is Motionflow Technology post-processing.

Does the graphics card driver detect and identify the Sony TV properly? Correct refresh rate of 60 Hz?
January 14, 2011 12:39:23 PM

Sometimes when you duplicate the displays, they try to match both monitors with settings that don't file both profiles.

As asked above, which model do you have. They have a version of that TV that isn't 1080p, meaning that could be your whole issue right there.
January 15, 2011 7:14:58 PM

ko888 said:
What is the Sony model number?

You said the TV is 120 Hz. Is it a 3D TV? If it's not 3D then the 120 Hz is Motionflow Technology post-processing.

Does the graphics card driver detect and identify the Sony TV properly? Correct refresh rate of 60 Hz?

I actually don't know the model since it doesn't say on the TV but you are correct, it is 60 Hertz and my graphics card is identifying it properly.
January 15, 2011 7:16:47 PM

Pallimud said:
Sometimes when you duplicate the displays, they try to match both monitors with settings that don't file both profiles.

As asked above, which model do you have. They have a version of that TV that isn't 1080p, meaning that could be your whole issue right there.

No, the TV is 100% a full 1920x1080 resolution TV. It might be that the GTX 460 video card isn't..powerful enough? to send 1080p graphics to both screens. I have two of them SLI'ed should I plug in the TV's HDMI port into the secondary card? At the moment, I have both plugged into the same primary card.
a c 84 Î Nvidia
January 15, 2011 7:25:49 PM

chinesepanda said:
No, the TV is 100% a full 1920x1080 resolution TV. It might be that the GTX 460 video card isn't..powerful enough? to send 1080p graphics to both screens. I have two of them SLI'ed should I plug in the TV's HDMI port into the secondary card? At the moment, I have both plugged into the same primary card.

The 460 shouldn't have a problem with dual displays.

In SLI mode you can only use the ports on the primary card unless you're running 3D Vision Surround.

How many HDMI ports are there on the TV? Have you tried each one? Is there one HDMI port that is specifically for a computer hookup?
January 15, 2011 7:28:53 PM

I don't really keep track of which HDMI port I plug it into but it couldn't hurt to give switching a shot, I'll try it later tonight when I get home.

There are 4 HDMI ports on the TV and I don't think there's one specifically for a computer hook-up but I'll check tonight.

3D Vision Surround requires a 3D TV?
a c 84 Î Nvidia
January 15, 2011 7:39:29 PM

NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Technology - 3D Gaming across three 1080P displays

or

2D Surround Gaming across three non-3D displays with each monitor having a resolution up to 2560x1600.

Requires two or more GeForce GTX 400 series or later GPUs and three monitors.
!