Sign in with
Your question

Need opinions on a Graphics Card for a brand new system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2011 6:05:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

With the recent release of the LGA 1155 socket and Sandy Bridge Processors I thought it would be a good time right now to build a new gaming system. I have picked out most other major components but I'm stuck deciding on a graphics card. There's just too much I don't know and won't add-up in my books and I can't seem to find the information I need anywhere. I've allocated $150 - $250 for the graphics card.

Here's the list of crucial components I have picked out so far:

Cooler Master High Air Flow (HAF) 922 Mid-Tower Case
Ultra X4 750W PSU (SLI and CrossFireX Certified)
ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Motherboard
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz QuadCore Processor

This rig will be mostly used to play StarCraft II and Guild Wars 2 (when it's released) so it won't require a super high-end configuration. I play at 1920x1080 monitor resolution. I do want to overclock in the future and/or buy additional CrossFireX/SLI cards if necessary.

The biggest confusion I have with the graphics card is the difference between manufacturers of a particular series (eg. XFX vs. Visiontek). What makes a Visiontek 5870 so special that it feels the need to charge an extra 200 dollars compared to an XFX 5870?

Thanks in advance for any help provided
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 6:21:56 PM

If you cna provide a link between those two cards we can better tell you why one costs more than the other, Ususally the price increase would be from an aftermarket cooling and maybe 4GB of ram as opposed to 2GB, along with a factory overclock. I would say it isnt worth the price difference between the two but if you can provide us some links we can better help you.
m
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
January 13, 2011 6:40:28 PM

Visiontek is typically overpriced; I've noticed that in their Newegg listings as well. I'm not sure what justifies the higher price.
The games you mentioned should not require monster video cards to run well. A single HD6850 ought to be sufficient.
Ultra has a mixed reputation when it comes to PSUs. Safer choices would include Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, or XFX.
m
l
Related resources
!