MODULAR or Non-MODULAR?

mrdrum81

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
OK, so building a new Sandy Bridge system. Core i5-2500k processor. Do I have any real reason to go Modular with my Power Supply? Currently looking at the OCZ Modxstream pro 700W modular high performance power supply. Besides the removable cables and what not, the "clean case" look, is there any other benefit of getting a power supply like this?

Would love to hear people's opinions. Also, is this a good PWR supply to begin with? Better ones? Wanna keep the PWR supply around $90 if I can help it.

popatim

Titan
The modularity of a PSU adds nothing besides asthetics. I've heard it mentioned that the extra connector is not good for high current situations which is why the 24pin, cpu power, and gpu are not modularized. At least with non-modularized PSU's you aren't wondering where you put that box of extra cables so you can install that second BD-burner you'll get for Christmas.... LoL

smoblikat

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Some say modular has less effeciency since it transfers electricity without a solid connection, i say it doesnt really matter since if it was less effecient who cares as long as its still within its rating.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
there is one benerfit to modular power supplys, you can generally get longer cables in moduler power supplys so if you have a big case they are easier to hide away without it being tight

for example ive got a non-modular powersupply and im using a micro-atx board and the cables are only just long enough

Read this review on the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro and then decide whether or not you should consider it :

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/

If you're planning to use it for a CrossFireX or SLI rig I highly recommend against the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro just based on its +12 Volt rails poor load distribution. OCZ's claim of SLI certification is a lie. It is not listed on SLI Zone or even certified for any level of SLI.

12V1 - ATX 20(4) Pin Connector and P4/AUX(EPS) Connector

12V2 - Molex, SATA, Floppy, One 6-pin PCI Express Connector and One 8-pin PCI Express Connector

How do you know that the power supply you have selected is adequate for your system?

List the other components in your build like the discete graphics card(s) if you have any.