BitFenix Colossus Venom Build

gahzirra

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
CPU: 2500K (Mild oC to 4.5)
Mobo: Asrock Extreme4
Ram: GSkill X 2x4gb Cas8
GPU: EVGA 560Ti (will be overclocking to 900mhz)
HSF: Scythe Mugen Rev B
PSU: Antec TP 750w

Case: Bit Fenix Colossus http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/colossus-venom/

I am pretty solid on the build after many iterations but wanted to get opinion on cooling needs in regards to this case, since it comes with only the 230 front intake and 230 exhaust. It has space for the optional 140 rear exhaust and a 140 floor intake as well. Could also mod another in the cage area.

Any recommendations on a good 140mm fan have been looking a lot and was going to get the Yate loons medium flow http://www.xoxide.com/yate-loon-140mm-d14sm-12.html as many swear by them as a good fan which is still pretty quiet.

Without the side window mounted fan option(if they offer a window panel later may get) would these fans be able to keep the system at a respectable temp with the clocks i am planning on?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
^ Agreed. If your fearful of airflow and such, you should be looking at the HAF X or 932. They have huge exhaust and intake fans and are easy to manage.

If you want a fan suggestion though with high RPMs and high CFM. Delta's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706036&cm_re=delta-_-35-706-036-_-Product

As for cooling, current cards may run hot but custom heatsinks such as the DirectCu II or the MSI Twin Frozr fix the problem. You don't need to worry so much on thermals. A quick thermal paste change would drop the temps like 4*C.

I'm referring to fairly high grade TIM. The IC24 (Innovation Cooling 24 carat) is the best TIM suggestion I have next to Shin-Etsu.

gahzirra

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Yeah, that full speed fan performance isn't all that good.

But spending $40 more to add two noisy fans? Sanyo fan: Airflow 99 CFM / Noise 39 dBA
I'm not a fan of that idea.

To be honest if you're concerned about thermal management you want to be looking at other case options IMO.

^ Agreed. If your fearful of airflow and such, you should be looking at the HAF X or 932. They have huge exhaust and intake fans and are easy to manage.

If you want a fan suggestion though with high RPMs and high CFM. Delta's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706036&cm_re=delta-_-35-706-036-_-Product

As for cooling, current cards may run hot but custom heatsinks such as the DirectCu II or the MSI Twin Frozr fix the problem. You don't need to worry so much on thermals. A quick thermal paste change would drop the temps like 4*C.

I'm referring to fairly high grade TIM. The IC24 (Innovation Cooling 24 carat) is the best TIM suggestion I have next to Shin-Etsu.

Solution

gahzirra

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

I hear that but I was planning on undervolting them as everything i have read pretty much anywhere refer to these fans as the best there is quote "The San Ace 120 pushes 99CFM of air at a modest noise rating of 39dBA. Although this is a great fan at full speed, what makes this fan truly desirable in the PC enthusiast community is its uncanny ability to under-volt. Pair this fan with a fan controller and watch it shine, these fans outperform the high speed Delta fans at lower speeds. Perfect for overclockers and for water cooling radiators with large fins, or for anyone that wants a deep fan that can be tuned down for a quiet environment." Paper napkin math below to support = )

I even looked at Noiseblockers Ultra Silent ($25+)and all the other top end fans and none have compared(many stretch that dba level in my experience). True its 39dba but thats full throttle, I will be controlling them down to a lower dba/cfm

Example: http://www.svc.com/120x25mmfans.html
Delta 120x38mm EFB1212SHE (Triple Blade)

141.96CFM Õ 2^(52.5/10) = 3.73

Delta 120x38mm FFB1212VHE

151.85 CFM Õ 2^(53.0/10) = 3.85

Sanyo Denki 120x120x38mm 9G1212H1011
99CFM Õ 2^(39.0/10) = 6.63

So the Sanyo's come out a healthy margin ahead and pretty much all info i can find supports this. So my conclusion was these will be quieter than the vast majority of other top end fans when producing the same amount of CFM.

I love the case so it's not a big deal for me to sink a few fans into it ...The HAF X just looks clunky imho. The main reason the Colossus comes in high is simply due to a lack of stock fans especially when compared to the haf x with 230, 200*2, and a 140 stock. The two cases are almost identical in price even adding the fans for me.

@Aznshinobi Thx on the gpu rec will look into those. Also I am using the Shin etsu Z28. I think with the two San Aces I should probably be pretty good will let you know how it goes...case should be here early next week.

colanusus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
There many differences between Colossus and HAF X. The later is a reference case for gamers and it is above Colossus. But it is an open design. This means it is cooler but much louder. I saw Colossus in action and I will switch my old P180 with this one as it is also a very silent case. In my opinion the optional fans you chose are way too loud and you would be better with HAF X than choosing a noisy Colossus. There are many better options for fans that will do the job. Not so high CFM but enough to keep you system cool with even sli configurations.

These are: Nexus Basic (most quiet...recommended by SPCR)
Scythe Kama Flow 2 (low version)
Scythe Slipstream
Noctua S12

You can use in the upper part a Scythe Kama Bay Plus (120mm bay that will use 3X3.5" bays) which will help the CPU cooler and is whisper quiet. In the lower part any of the above fans can be used and if you are still afraid you can add one to the lower drive bay (using rubber straps) to push air into the GPU's.

This way you will have also top cooling and also an inaudible system.

gahzirra

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Well my case is silent even with the San Ace's. The system is built and is running at a mid 4.5 OC. If you look at my reply where I present the numbers you will see where San Ace is one of the number one fans for underclocking. So I got a fan thats loud if I run it full speed, but at full speed it moves tons of air and I do mean tons. Yea you can buy those quiet designed fans but they wont move near the amount of air and they will be full speed.

As you have seen the Bit Fenix case, you know it has a fan controller...I have mine at the lowest setting and those San Ace's are whisper quiet and still would wager move about the same air as the quiet ones you listed. When I turn my fans up to full blast yea it can be heard but I actually hear more noise from the big 230 that came with the system and if the San's are noisy its from all that air they are forcing thru my heat sink.

I have a Yate loon MED on the bottom of the case as an intake as well (people love them for there quietness) but even full blast the air it puts out is eclipsed by a San on low. I also have a scythe slipstream as my PWM on the cpu pulling in my HSF config...again its there but I will be changing it out for another San, same with the YL.

My system even OC'd to 4.5 is run on the lowest airflow and is whisper quiet thanks to the San Ace's moving so much air, I love them.

You will love the BF Colossus it is a beautiful case the fan controller is great, tons of room for cable management, superb crafting the designers seem to have thought of everything...and take my advice get the San Ace's and just leave the fan controller at the lowest setting they are better in the end.

colanusus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
San Ace are not available in Romania :); hell they are not available in many places; they move a lot of air but at lowest speed 5V they are still 30db loud; my actual build with 4 x Kama Flow 2 inside a P180 is dead silent with 600/900rpm (q6600 @3.2Ghz mild overclock); the only quiet hum is coming from Kama Bay which I will get rid off anyway (used only for 3.6ghz overclock on my B3 quad); anyway i did not know that the big fans on the Colossus are not dead silent at lower speed; so your choice may be better as the sound from San Ace's are anyway covered by the case fans