Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$500 build over budget.....

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 18, 2011 1:18:43 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week
Budget Range: $500 before rebates
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing, videos
Parts Not Required: Monitor
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, microcenter
Country of Origin:United States
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking:no
SLI or Crossfire: no
Additional Comments: Need help bringing down the price when I still need (keyboard, speakers,mouse), Everyone always recommends Microcenter for cpu's but the total price including tax always comes down to same as newegg price is they're anything else they are good for?

Cpu:AMD Phenom II X4 955 ($140)
RAM:p atriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB ($43)
PSU:Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W ($70)
Optical Drive:ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive ($16)
GPU:HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 ($130)
MoBo:ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 ($90)
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB ($40)
Case:Rosewill CHALLENGER ($55)
Total:( $584)

-Thanks



More about : 500 build budget

March 18, 2011 1:54:21 AM

I was really hoping for help..
m
0
l
March 18, 2011 2:09:55 AM

Most of those prices are as low as you can go without sacrificing quality and you don't want to do that. I see that you don't want to SLI/Crossfire, in that case I recommend Microcenter. They have a deal in which you buy a CPU and you get a motherboard cheap or even free. Unfortunately, the Phenom 955 is not one of the CPUs available in this deal, but the 965 is. You can get a Phenom II X4 965 with an MSI 880G-E45 for $206. You can get a cheaper motherboard to lower the cost to $162 or you can get a more expensive one. It's a really good deal.

As for everything else, all I see is that you can get a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition case for $40 on newegg and you can get the same PSU for $65 with a code.

Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also did you use the 15% off code on the RAM? If you didn't you still have enough time. I think it ends in a few hours. That's all I see that you can do to lower the cost.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 19, 2011 12:52:19 AM

^^ I appreciate the info about microcenter,
but the components you've selected are more expensive then my current build(excluding cpu and mobo)
when considering "before rebate" and shipping
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 2:32:01 AM

if you won't be doing SLI/Crossfire, get the ASRock 880GM at $59.99

you could switch to say, the Rosewill R-102 case for $29.99 with the Micro ATX board

You could go with a lower-end CPU: X4 840; $110, or X4 640: $100, or x3 450: $80

get an Antec Earthwatts 380W 80+Bronze, $39.99 (Its has 17 + 15W on the 12v rails, plenty for up to a 460/560 easily)

use the savings to get a HD6850 which uses less power and is plenty powerful.
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 2:51:05 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
if you won't be doing SLI/Crossfire, get the ASRock 880GM at $59.99

you could switch to say, the Rosewill R-102 case for $29.99 with the Micro ATX board

You could go with a lower-end CPU: X4 840; $110, or X4 640: $100, or x3 450: $80

get an Antec Earthwatts 380W 80+Bronze, $39.99 (Its has 17 + 15W on the 12v rails, plenty for up to a 460/560 easily)

use the savings to get a HD6850 which uses less power and is plenty powerful.


That's how you make a true budget build.
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 3:53:44 AM

budfut said:
Approximate Purchase Date: this week
Budget Range: $500 before rebates
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing, videos
Parts Not Required: Monitor
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, microcenter
Country of Origin:United States
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking:no
SLI or Crossfire: no
Additional Comments: Need help bringing down the price when I still need (keyboard, speakers,mouse), Everyone always recommends Microcenter for cpu's but the total price including tax always comes down to same as newegg price is they're anything else they are good for?

Cpu:AMD Phenom II X4 955 ($140)
RAM:p atriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB ($43)
PSU:Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W ($70)
Optical Drive:ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive ($16)
GPU:HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 ($130)
MoBo:ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 ($90)
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB ($40)
Case:Rosewill CHALLENGER ($55)
Total:( $584)

-Thanks


Change the mainboard to Asus or MSI
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 6:34:16 AM

^ WTF kind of comment is that? Asrock is a real good Motherboard maker and the new ExtremeX series motherboards are comparable and even beat out the Asus/MSI boards of higher price. An example is the Extreme4 P67 and the 870 Extreme3 the OP mentions.

Check out my 450$ build in my siggy. That should run you well, or you could go with my 600$ build which would give you better performance in the graphical section for about the same price as yours.
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 1:17:08 PM

^I agree. Asrock is a subsidiary of Asus. I would say that they have higher quality than MSI.
m
0
l
March 21, 2011 12:50:40 AM

Where in the world saying 'Asus = Asrock?"
Maybe in the earlier days they are good these days they are cutting corner like nobody business on their mainboard.
m
0
l
March 21, 2011 1:40:12 AM

Asus spun ASRock off in 2002
m
0
l
March 21, 2011 7:34:41 AM

Hi,
Fatality ?
A Name of a GAMER but to which company.
Oh now i remember it was ABIT or was it Asus.
So beautiful yet the problem is the premium quality of the mainboard.
Do not just look at the review look also what other user who have it says.
m
0
l
March 21, 2011 11:13:50 AM

you could just keep your current build plan and drop the cpu to the x3 445 or 450 if you cant find 445. that will save you about 60-70$. and theres a high possibility to unlock the x3 to a x4 phenom so you still get the same performance. you could also wait till the case goes on sale around 40 the challenger and destroyer do pretty often. i have the destroyer and my cousin has the challenger no complaints on either. also if you could find another psu on sale you could save another 10-20$ would be a nice idea to switch the 5770 to a 6850 to
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 4:11:04 PM

budfut said:
^^ I appreciate the info about microcenter,
but the components you've selected are more expensive then my current build(excluding cpu and mobo)
when considering "before rebate" and shipping


Hmm not sure what u getting at but am suggesting for best results frames/$$ u start with a dependable 80+ PSU and as much teeth in GPU you can afford then work your ways backwards to cpu/board (i.e platform) for best gaming performance for the $$ :D 
m
0
l
!