Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing 1155 mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 2:34:45 PM

So after hearing that Ivy Bridge is going to be delayed until June I've decided I just can't wait anymore and I really want a CPU upgrade.I'm planning on going with a 2500k and O.C.ing but my budget is a little tight.Max is around $130.So I'm curious as to which mobo you guys think is the better buy.Here's what I've come up with...

MSI P67A-G45 (B3)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now I understand the difference between the Z68 and the P67 chipsets and I don't really think i'll use the Intel SRT of the Z68 or the intergreated GPU but the ASRock board just seems like a really good deal for futureing proofing sake because of the PCI-E 3.0.

I'm also a little confused on the gold caps that ASRock seems to use a lot.Are these really better than the other ones? How so?

More about : choosing 1155 mobo

a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 2:58:27 PM

Go with Z68 regardless of what you'll use. The Asrock is an excellent choice.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 3:24:46 PM

Can you explain the difference in capacitors? Why go gold and if it's better why don't other companies do it? Just seems strange the cheapest board has the best componets.

Why go with Z68 regardless?I won't even use any of the things Z68 offers.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2012 3:57:55 PM

Asrock tends to have lower profit margins on their boards, that's why you can spend $50+ more getting a board with the same features from say, Asus or Gigabyte. This generation, their boards have been of really good quality, both from my personal experience, and from reading reviews. However, the gold capacitors are just a gimmick, more marketing fodder. I would get the Asrock board for the PCIe 3.0.
m
l
February 19, 2012 4:00:10 PM

i tried reading up on this while i was researching for a board. in the end it just seemed like a marketing tactic to show they use high quality japanese capacitors. i can't say if they are better or worse than any other motherboards, but i did end up buying he extreme4 version of that board and i am completely satisfied with it. i couldn't use the extreme3 because of the way the pci slots are laid out. my second gpu would hit my power supply. and asrock is usually cheaper than asus or gigabyte. They don't have the fan base of the other motherboard manufacturers so they entice with low prices. :)  in the end it's a good board with a good price. i say shoot for the asrock z68
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 4:07:29 PM

Because it's the same price or cheaper that's why, and it has features you may use down the road, like PCI-E 3.0.

Also if you have a gpu failure, how are you going to use your computer? You won't have the problem with a Z68, you'll still be good to go without a gpu.

Japanese capacitors are just better period.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 4:24:05 PM

Alright.I'm still researching.
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:53:04 PM

I was actually choosing boards for a build im doing an these are the two last boards I was debating on. I think im gonna go with the ASRock but I gotta fishy feeling about it.

Also just a side note if someone can answer. If I bought the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 and a I3, can I swap out that I3 and put in a Ivy-Bridge proc later on the same board???
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 6:07:00 PM

Yes you can.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:19:16 PM

i believe it will be socket compatible with current 1155 boards. It may require a bios update, however, and this may or may not happen depending on the manufacturer of the board. If you ask me, boards with pci 3.0 are pretty much committed to supporting ivy bridge, as the slots will only run in 3.0 with an ivy bridge processor. im not quite sure if everything is set in stone tho.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 6:34:58 PM

^+1
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:36:07 PM

K so I can take a Processor out and put another in on the same board without problems? When does Ivy Bridge come out anyways?
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:42:39 PM

no release date as of yet. it apparently went into production 3rd quarter 2011 according to the wikipedia page. ceo said in latest earnings call that it would be out in 'early spring' i believe
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:44:52 PM

Alright cool. So I should have no problem swapping my I3 out for lets say and Ivy I5 when it comes out?
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:07:42 PM

you shouldn't. again, keyword: shouldn't. until it's released, anything can change but i'd say it should be a pretty painless swap.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 7:36:23 PM

Why don't use ask a 4th time just to make sure...

Purple, go with the Asrock, you won't be disappointed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 7:38:23 PM

It was rumored that the release date for IB was supposed to be April 8th.But I recently found out that Intel is delaying the release until June.Something about the notebook and ultrabook companies not selling enough sandy bridge last year so they have a lot of inventory of it.They want to wait and sell more of their old stock before getting the new stuff.Intel said they would ship "some" processor's on April 8th but they will be few and probably hard to find.That's why I decided to just go ahead and buy a Sandy Bridge now because I can't wait any longer.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 8:53:28 PM

Yah I saw that board.I didn't like it cause of how poor the cooling is on the VRM's.I'm going to be O.C.ing.
m
l
February 19, 2012 9:05:29 PM

purple stank said:
Yah I saw that board.I didn't like it cause of how poor the cooling is on the VRM's.I'm going to be O.C.ing.

Good call. I had no need to overclock mine as it is only running a storage server. :D 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 9:54:31 PM

Looks like a decent board, but the Asrock has all the same features for $70 less.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 10:24:44 PM

Well I'm currently bidding for it on Ebay.I bid $100 on it and no one else bid on it.Auction close's in 1 hour and 30 mins.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 12:22:15 AM

Keep in mind if it's not from a qualified vendor they might not honor your warranty.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 12:44:32 AM

Just got it for $90.Basically half of retail.

How would they know where I got it from?I just give them the serial number don't I?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 2:36:11 AM

So I went ahead and bought that mobo from Ebay and a 2500k to go with it.Hopefully everything works out well and i'm really looking forward to see how much of a performance gain i'll see over my Phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.8ghz.

Thanks everyone for your help and insight.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 2:53:28 PM

You need a receipt for RMA. I had the same issue with a Echo chainsaw I bought new on Ebay. I had a receipt, but because they were not a qualified vendor, Echo won't honor my 5yr warranty.

I really don't think you'll see much if any difference between the 2500K and 3.8 965. I don't know what you plan to do with it, but as far as gaming with a single video card, you'll never notice the difference.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 7:55:56 PM

Well I had a 6870 crossfire but my a 965 bottlenecked it it games like BF3.So I sold it and decided to go to intel.When I have enough money again im gonna get the 6870 crossfire.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2012 3:10:27 PM

Two low end 6870's in crossfire would NOT be bottlenecked by a 965BE at 3.8ghz. lol Not even close.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2012 3:52:14 PM

That's what I thought at first too but in CPU demanding games such as BF3 and the taxing affects of multiplayer the old Phenom ii's just can't keep up anymore.Believe me I really wanted it to work but it just didn't.In singleplayer they worked great and you could tell it was a VRAM issue but in multiplayer the CPU was holding them back.Went from 100% usage in singleplayer to roughly 60% or less in multiplayer on high settings.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2012 7:33:59 PM

I have no idea what you mean by "Went from 100% cpu usage in singleplayer to roughly 60% or less in multiplayer".

I have no idea what you mean by that, how did it change? Why are you comparing SP to MP? Did you change something?

Makes no sense, a Phenom II at 3.8 is not going to bottleneck you at all in BF3.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2012 7:49:28 PM

I was referring to GPU usage.And I was stating that because of the added resources needed from the CPU to run multiplayer that it was bottlenecking a 6870 crossfire.

I was able to run everything on ultra in the singleplayer but in multiplayer the CPU bottlenecked the 6870 crossfire so badly it didn't matter what settings I chose.

http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanaly...

About a 25fps difference.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 2:19:29 PM

Yeah well I've yet to see a single BF3 MP benchmark, which I'll never understand, and I certainly cannot read that one, if it is in fact MP, I speak English.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 6:04:39 PM

I think techpowerup did one but I forgot where I found it.The graphs are in english but if you want to read just use google translate.The bottom graph is without a GPU bottleneck.
m
l
!