Need help choosing 1155 mobo

So after hearing that Ivy Bridge is going to be delayed until June I've decided I just can't wait anymore and I really want a CPU upgrade.I'm planning on going with a 2500k and O.C.ing but my budget is a little tight.Max is around $130.So I'm curious as to which mobo you guys think is the better buy.Here's what I've come up with...

MSI P67A-G45 (B3)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Now I understand the difference between the Z68 and the P67 chipsets and I don't really think i'll use the Intel SRT of the Z68 or the intergreated GPU but the ASRock board just seems like a really good deal for futureing proofing sake because of the PCI-E 3.0.

I'm also a little confused on the gold caps that ASRock seems to use a lot.Are these really better than the other ones? How so?

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Asrock tends to have lower profit margins on their boards, that's why you can spend $50+ more getting a board with the same features from say, Asus or Gigabyte. This generation, their boards have been of really good quality, both from my personal experience, and from reading reviews. However, the gold capacitors are just a gimmick, more marketing fodder. I would get the Asrock board for the PCIe 3.0.

furry_roadkill

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
i tried reading up on this while i was researching for a board. in the end it just seemed like a marketing tactic to show they use high quality japanese capacitors. i can't say if they are better or worse than any other motherboards, but i did end up buying he extreme4 version of that board and i am completely satisfied with it. i couldn't use the extreme3 because of the way the pci slots are laid out. my second gpu would hit my power supply. and asrock is usually cheaper than asus or gigabyte. They don't have the fan base of the other motherboard manufacturers so they entice with low prices. :) in the end it's a good board with a good price. i say shoot for the asrock z68

Because it's the same price or cheaper that's why, and it has features you may use down the road, like PCI-E 3.0.

Also if you have a gpu failure, how are you going to use your computer? You won't have the problem with a Z68, you'll still be good to go without a gpu.

Japanese capacitors are just better period.

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
I was actually choosing boards for a build im doing an these are the two last boards I was debating on. I think im gonna go with the ASRock but I gotta fishy feeling about it.

Also just a side note if someone can answer. If I bought the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 and a I3, can I swap out that I3 and put in a Ivy-Bridge proc later on the same board???

furry_roadkill

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
i believe it will be socket compatible with current 1155 boards. It may require a bios update, however, and this may or may not happen depending on the manufacturer of the board. If you ask me, boards with pci 3.0 are pretty much committed to supporting ivy bridge, as the slots will only run in 3.0 with an ivy bridge processor. im not quite sure if everything is set in stone tho.

It was rumored that the release date for IB was supposed to be April 8th.But I recently found out that Intel is delaying the release until June.Something about the notebook and ultrabook companies not selling enough sandy bridge last year so they have a lot of inventory of it.They want to wait and sell more of their old stock before getting the new stuff.Intel said they would ship "some" processor's on April 8th but they will be few and probably hard to find.That's why I decided to just go ahead and buy a Sandy Bridge now because I can't wait any longer.