Sign in with
Your question

Palit GTX 460 SE Crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2011 1:14:37 AM

I just got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SE graphics card from Newegg.com today. I installed it and loaded the drivers and installed them too. After restarting my computer and getting to the desktop it begins freeze, colors are distorted, screen goes black, and it recovers with a message in the bottom right task bar saying a driver crashed, I don't remeber what it said specificly. All of a sudden it will crash completely and restart. What should I do?

Right now I let windows download a old driver just so it will run.

Here are my specs.

Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) (Build 7600)
Memory (RAM): 2048 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor
CPU Speed: 2811.5 MHz
Sound Card: Not detected
Display Adapters: | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
Monitors: 1x;
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
CD / DVD Drives: D: ATAPI iHAS124 B | E: DTSOFT BDROM
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: System Product Name
AC Power Status: OnLine
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78L-M

Also, I spent 2 hours with a live chat person from nvidia and went through alot of junk and still no luck.

More about : palit gtx 460 crashing

January 14, 2011 1:38:31 AM

No one has any ideas?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 14, 2011 12:56:02 PM

Turn the fan speed to max and see how that affects the card. If you can remove the side panel and with the back of your hand gently pat the card to search for hot spots.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2011 2:27:15 PM

well it says my temp of the card is at 30 C. No hot spots that I could find. But the
meter that windows 7 lets you use as a gadget is telling me I'm using 45-50% of my ram all the time. Before the new video card it was not doing that.

Update: The computer only seems to crash when i start up games now. After a short amount of play time it crashes.

m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 14, 2011 4:41:02 PM

I think that there is a defect some ware. Give memtest a try to rule out system ram and while you are at it check your volts in bios. You need to look at the 12v source as that is what powers much of your system. If it is low that being below 11.5v then you need to replace the psu. If all checks out good then it is either the card or a software issue.
m
l
!