Sign in with
Your question

Using on-board graphics + PCIE together...disadvantage?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2011 1:14:54 AM

Hi,

I bought a new PC today - dell xps 8300. Intel i7-2600, 3.4ghz, 8mb ddr 3, 1 tb hdd.

It has a PCI E video card - ATI HD 5770.

I am running 3 monitors: 2 dvi from 5770, 1 vga from mother-board VGA port.
(note: I tried hooking up ALL 3 to HD 5770...but it doesn't work with a passive DP-> DVI dongle...and I don't want to spend $100 on active DP converter)

Is there any drawbacks for me using the on-board graphics to run the 3rd monitor ? Will my PC be a bit slower ?

Or no difference?

The 3rd monitor hooked up to the motherboard on-board video card is used for web surfing and streaming netflix /watching dvd etc... while I am working on the other 2 monitors hooked up to the HD 5770.

PJ
a c 1380 U Graphics card
a c 103 C Monitor
January 14, 2011 2:14:30 AM

If it works for you there is no drawbacks.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2011 2:33:10 AM

Does the mobo support hybrid?Are they working together or sepretly?
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2011 4:13:38 AM

purple stank said:
Does the mobo support hybrid?Are they working together or sepretly?

The mother board card is "INTEL HD GRAPHICS FAMILY " - It doesn't even list a model number or anything under device mgr.
- It is NOT an ATI or NVIDIA chip. It's just a generic intel built in video i suppose.

The PC is brand new XPS 8300 - with i7-2600 processor....so the mobo video is probably decent, but no where near any PCIE card probably.

m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2011 5:29:56 AM

You must be looking in the wrong place,mostly all units are "INTEL HD GRAPHICS FAMILY ".
Have you used dxdiag?
Try downloading and using CPUID CPU-Z.It should tell you everything you need to know.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2011 12:12:16 PM

Here is a link for the active DP to DVI that I use for my 5770. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
In answer to your question, yes you can use on-board and discreet graphics simultaneously. You can even use 3 displays off of the 5770 and another 2 off of your on-board.
But, with this dongle, you can set up Eyefinity, use 3 displays in extended view, duplicate view, whatever. Display settings in CCC are easy to work with.
Also, for those with mini-DP's on their GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I should add that a passive DP to VGA would also work. But your card should have included a DVI to VGA adapter that can be used off of one of the cards DVI ports (not the adapter) and the dongle to one of your DVI displays.
m
l
January 14, 2011 12:14:00 PM

Shouldn't be any drawbacks. I'm doing something similar with a ati 4870 and an onboard ati 4290.

Playing HD movies when they're GPU accelerated was a bit choppy when I ran it on the monitor that was hooked to the 4290 (actually it was on a TV at the time). But to fix that I just ended up switching from Media Player Classic Home Theatre to VLC, since VLC seems to load my CPU more and GPU less.

But as long your movies/shows stream smoothly and your windows drag around nicely there's no harm in doing it.

I personally don't even notice anymore which monitor is hooked up to which.
m
l
!