Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium Processor Upgrade Question

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2011 11:47:07 PM

I have a Pentium2 and I'm told by Adobe, that the minimum processor required for their current CS is a Pentium4. I have a 32bit machine. Can I even put a P4 in it? I have an old Dell xps410. Thanks
June 18, 2011 11:59:14 PM

Sorry, but a pentium 2 is way too old to be upgraded into anything useful these days, the only chips you would be able to replace it with is other pentium 2 chips which isnt going to do you much good. A modern machine, even a cheap $300-500 one will be much faster at image work than yours.
m
l
June 19, 2011 12:06:51 AM

Thanks, unfortunately for what I need to do and run a 'cheap' machine is not an option. The one I have wasn't cheap when I bought it and replacing it at this time is not an option. Was hoping what I have would be able to be modified. Hadn't expected Adobe to upgrade it's product right out the users ability to use it. Guess I'm stuck with old CS2.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 12:32:44 AM

hunter315 said:
Sorry, but a pentium 2 is way too old to be upgraded into anything useful these days, the only chips you would be able to replace it with is other pentium 2 chips which isnt going to do you much good. A modern machine, even a cheap $300-500 one will be much faster at image work than yours.

OK, going to test the bounds of 'there ain't no such a thing as a stupid question'.
I have (according to what I have found under device manager in win7) 2 processors in my machine. Both are P2s. I am going to presume that I have 2 because I have the terabyte drives that I do (which I think is 4T). If I were to win the lottery and could buy a new computer with 4T or more of memory assuming it would be a split drive system like what I have now ... does that mean I'd still have 2 processors like it says I have now (only they'd be faster processors because it would be new)?

See, and you didn't think I could come up with a dumb question. I do not even know if the newer CPUs are no longer using split drive tech (I don't know what else to call it).

Thanks
m
l

Best solution

June 19, 2011 12:47:17 AM

Wait, you are sure is an XPS 410?
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_410_Core_2_Duo_E6600/4...

In that case you actually have a core 2 duo which explains the two processors in your machine, its actually two cores, and actually capable of running CS 5.5. If you were running a Pentium II im 99.99% positive you wouldnt be able to run windows 7, so the core 2 duo is much more plausible given the new information.

The difference between a Core 2 Duo and a Pentium II is about 8 years.
June 19, 2011 5:06:53 AM

hunter315 said:
Wait, you are sure is an XPS 410?
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_410_Core_2_Duo_E6600/4...

In that case you actually have a core 2 duo which explains the two processors in your machine, its actually two cores, and actually capable of running CS 5.5. If you were running a Pentium II im 99.99% positive you wouldnt be able to run windows 7, so the core 2 duo is much more plausible given the new information.

The difference between a Core 2 Duo and a Pentium II is about 8 years.

OK, yup its a XPS410 ... but it's a tricked out one. Tried to to make it one that would last me for a long time (and I suppose by computing standards it already has lasted a long time). I have as much RAM in it a I can for a 32bit. Was told if I wanted more I'd have to go to 64bit and basically go buy a whole new machine.

It came w/XP and now runs Win7. It's had no problem handling Win7, knock on wood. :)  Only reason I started this thread is because customer service at Adobe simply told me that CS5.5 wouldn't work on machines that didn't have Pentium4. I thought I had P2 but when I looked at Device Manager I was surprised to see 2 Pentium Core 2s so I got somewhat more confused than I was about it. Maybe I should have put my question to Adobe's Tech Support instead of Customer Service.

m
l
June 19, 2011 5:53:22 AM

Well the thing is, you dont have "Pentium" anything, you have a core 2 duo, its a different architecture from a Pentium 4 and much better, it will be able to handle CS5.5 just fine. The trick is in the terminology, they answered your question correctly, it wouldnt work on a pentium 2, but you have a core 2 duo not a pentium 2.
m
l
June 26, 2011 4:10:53 PM

hunter315 said:
Well the thing is, you dont have "Pentium" anything, you have a core 2 duo, its a different architecture from a Pentium 4 and much better, it will be able to handle CS5.5 just fine. The trick is in the terminology, they answered your question correctly, it wouldnt work on a pentium 2, but you have a core 2 duo not a pentium 2.

That is one of the drawbacks of not being a tech geek. I just assumed all Intel processors were some flavor of Pentium. Adobe's Customer Service department is probably not staffed with techs either as I was told to contact Tech Support for answers to my questions. Customer service knows what Adobe publishes as the the system requirements, but they can not field questions that stray outside the lines. If the person who was helping me had asked me to go look and see what I had for a processor I would have but I do not know if they'd have known even then, if my machine met the requirements as stated by Adobe.

Either way, your reply was actually the most helpful.
m
l
July 6, 2011 10:49:11 PM

Best answer selected by tstray1.
m
l
!