Need help deciding which gpu to get with my current configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb3rg

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Hey everyone this is my first post on this site and I have done some research on my question but I still cannot find an answer. I just built a new desktop for myself to replace my laptop that is starting to die. The desktop that I built came with a CPU, Power Supply, Case, Motherboard, Hard Drive and DVD Burner as a bundle. I mostly will be using the desktop for playing World of Warcraft Cataclysm. So my question is, "What Graphics Card would be the best for my desktops configuration and for around $150."

Here's what the desktops configuration is:

Motherboard: Biostar MCP6PB M2+
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor
RAM: Corsair 2x 2048 DDR2
Hard Drive: WD 1 TB
Basic Samsung DVD Writer
Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450-Watt Power Supply
I also have an LG 23 inch LCD that has HDMI which puts out 1920x1080.

I would like to get a graphics card that has at least 1gb of VRAM, can handle WoW at Medium settings and also has an HDMI port so that I can use my monitor at full potential. Does anyone have any ideas on what graphics card I should look at that is around the price range of $150? If the graphics card is either NVIDIA or ATI it doesn't matter to me. I will appreciate any form of suggestions. Thanks again.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would go with the GTX 460 1GB for a few reasons.

1. The WOW Cataclysm review on Tom's a month ago clearly indicated that WOW favors Nvidia video cards

2. The 1GB on the GTX 460 will certainly benefit your 1920x1080 resolution as opposed to the 768-meg version

3. Your power supply should be able to handle it. (you might need a PCI-E power adapter so double check)

4. You might be able to get a GTX 460 1GB for around $150.00

$154.99 after mail-in-rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162055

Go with the 5770.It is the best bang for your buck here.It is fully capable of playing WoW on high settings.Although it is true Blizzard's games favor Nvidia cards,but you simply don't want to chance a gtx460 with your current PSU.It consumes much more power than a 5770.That is why everyone is suggessting the 5770 and not the 460.

If it is so bad that you can not even find something on it, better upgrade. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139017&Tpk=corsair%20430w There is one that should do it. Good brand too. If you do not like that one, I'll recommend you another.

drb3rg

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Yeah, I can upgrade my PSU to a name brand, but I would rather spend the money right now on a graphics card. Down the road I can get a better PSU. But since my laptop is starting to crap out.. Overheats without the Laptop cooler, always connected to the power adapter and when I'm playing WoW my FPS gets to be horrible sometimes.

Did you you buy that case and that power supply from tigerdirect? If you bought that exact one, it does not have a 6-pin PCI-E connector, which mean you can not hook up a GPU that needs a 6-pin like a gts450 or a hd5770. I will try to find a cheap in a few minutes too.

drb3rg

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Are there any other psu's ATI or NVIDIA that would be an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.