Low fps gtx 580

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hello I have been upgrading my pc these past couple of weeks and as things have gotten better some have gotten worse. When i first got gtx 580 i only seen 50 to 60 fps in sc2 but it looked 100 times better than the gtx 260. Today i got the new monitor the asus vg236h with the 3d vision kit. I have it set to 1080p at 120hz. When i go in to sc2 i have bad low fps now. with or with out 3d on. My system specs are.

asus crosshair iv formula

amd 955 black oc to 3.8

evga sc gtx 580 oc to 800 core 1600 shader and 2100 ram

4 gigs of gskill drr3 1600

2 wd black 640 gig drives in raid-0

asus vg236h screen

3d vision kit

windows 7 64 bit pro

Is 4 gigs of ram enough for this work load? Is my cpu really hurting me that bad? Is it a software problem i have the latest drives for the gtx 580 had to reinstall them today for the 3d kit soo i got the newest drives. The pc kinda lags somethings now in windows when im not gaming not sure why that is either. still looking in to that. I have qwest dsl 40 meg line to this pc.
thanks for any help you guys can be.

4 gigs of ram is fine, your cpu should not be holding it back at all, the first question I ask myself is what is the make and model of your psu?? have you had any crashes or bsods in games?? have you tried a fresh reinstall of windows?? have you tried the card in another machine with the same results?? get back to me and we will get to the bottom of this becuase aside from your psu everything else you listed appears to be okay from what I can see.

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
when you use 3-d the fps drops to 2/1 of the non- 3d version as the same frame needs to be rendered twice and nv's cards always work better with intel and whats your current fps and what tool are you using for benchmarking the psu is good enough try an offline game see the fps diff.. as far as i know it could be cos of the oc as well reset it to normal and see..

yeah the card may not be able to pull the 60hz per eye that is required for 120hz 3d, I would set your monitor to 60hz mode and see if the problem persists, In many games the gtx 580 will not pull a solid 120 fps I can guarantee that. Sounds like your psu is not a problem...

well in some games at 120 hz no way its not going to pull 120 hz in crysis or anywhere near that along with some other games im sure it is adequate to run many games in 120 hz (60 hz per eye) 3d but for some modern demanding games: metro, crysis etc it cannot produce 120fps so how does that work out? How is your performance in 3d with the gtx 580 and what type of monitor do you have and what kind of frames do you get?? you tell me i was just assume that it would be inadequate in some games for 120hz 3d, or if anyone else can answer it would be greatly appreciated bc im a little confused on this matter as well

Seems like FPS in the 60 range is normal.

GTX-580-79.jpg

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I had this cpu before i got sc2 or the gtx 580. On my old gtx 260 black i got 28 to 52 and with the gtx 580 with vsync off i used to get 180 fps and now all i did add asus vg236h I only see 18 to 60. I think its more a driver or software problem just what is the problem is the question. If i turn off vsync with the mouse still feel smooth? I have all ready been thinking about changing to intel for the 2600k but I need to get my theater setup done first. im building a 3d theater for movies at home. If some one could tell me If onboard sound is the same as the creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty? If it dose than yeah i would buy 2600k

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
even though the 580 is a good card we cant call it the best you saw the bench mark the 6980 defeats it but if you ask me i will prefer the 580... and whats your current fps 3d is really taxing on any card and btw nv 3d vision wont work on 60 hz try sli'ing another gtx 5 series cos' you cant sli gtx 4 &5 8&5 or any thing like that but still i suppouse the fps you are getting is still playable right... the only reason you are expreincing fps drops is cos of 3d and ati-3d fps drops are worse... so you are not experincing anything abnormal and no the x-fi fatality is good but if i were you i wouldnt go near creative for sound cards i would definately choose asus xonar x1 though cheaper its better but on board sound is still good i would go in for the processor upgrade first

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
WTF I said the drops aren't in 3d. This is with no 3d on just normal game play. I had the 6970 and it was a pice of ***. got 4 fps in sc2 and had a ton of problems and got ride of it. Again not in 3d vision im haven this problem.

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I have been doing some reading and i did find out that intel dose do better with sc. I tried turning off vsync but all that dose is look like i have the 3d turned on when i don't. I turned down the setting in sc2 from ultra to high and got 60 fps a sec. Im thinking about putting in a order for the 2600k and one of the boards. I have been thinking of the asrock exetreme6 , gigabyte 5 series, msi g65 board. My thing about this move is i won't have the money to do the THX setup i want for 3d movies. Will the onboard sound good enough? the asrock and thx have thx cret but i dont know what that means for how good they are. Another way i was thinking was amd 1100t becuase it has turbo core but it dosen't do much over 4 gigs and im runing 3.8 per core.

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Is there any where that talks about onboard thx boards? I have a friend going ot buy my current asus crosshair iv formula and chip cpu and dvd drive since i just got new ***. only thing i need to make my mind up on is witch board should i got for the asus rog p67 board or go with the asrock. I won't go msi for any thing any more everytime i get something from them there is a problem. The 3 boards im thinking are. asrock p67 6, gigabyte 5 series or asus maximus.

My main goals. movie sound great game sound ok. game fps great for sc2 its my main game. I ordered the 2600k for the cpu. thanks for all the help again.

You can always just get a 470. It'll perform about the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121372&cm_re=GTX_470-_-14-121-372-_-Product

yeah minus the heat from what I hear but the 570 should still be a little better, for the ops needs I would say if he can get a good deal on a gtx 470 go for it, it will certainly save some money but I think the gtx 560, when it finally arrives might possibly be the best bang for your buck we will see

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
There's alot of problems with people reading on this forum. I have a evga gtx 580 sc and have fixed my problem all ready it was the mother board putting the pc in epu mode. thanks for the people who helped.

sorry must've misread as im going through all these different threads they start to blend together, my apologies, glad to here you 580 is running properly

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
sorry I hear you on the misread. I was kinda getting pissed when my games were sucking soo bad after getting 2 new video cards the 6970 and gtx 580 and haven problems. even the 3d vision wasn't installing right at first. leave it to asus the one part i didn't think would have a problem. This wasn't the problem with the 6970 it was a bad driver and the card died in 1 day soo i win't back to nvidia.

That's good to hear man it sucks when you get top of the line products and are dissatisfied, but this is all good bro now relax and smoke a bowl, happy gaming

I would recommend you do a fresh install, with latest chipset drivers, latest GPU driver package....

Benchmark it with normal monitor first, 60 Hz....

Is possible the driver/OS with 3d monitor is killing your framerates, regardless of wether you think it should be without 3d....effectively running twice the screen real estate at twice the refresh rate will chop framerates in half or by 3/4rths pretty darn quickly.