EVGA SLI3 X58-No audio except mouse/keyboard through speakers

dankhimself

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I have a problem with my EVGA X58 chip SLI3 board. I'm not getting audio from my on-board jacks other than mouse/keyboard/windows operation sounds.

I have checked and rechecked the plugs being secure many times, inspected the inside of the jacks with a light and magnifying loupe, the speakers work perfectly in other pcs and in the X-fi card I installed. Full explanation below.

I've pulled the board and checked for short to ground problems on the mobo tray, but nothing. I installed my X-fi card when I got the board and never used the on-board, but now I try and use it, and the same thing. I can hear mouse/keyboard/windows loading and all that.

I have done it all correctly, uninstalling all drivers, restarting, stopping windows auto install and using the latest drivers(also bios/chipset and the rest are latest release).

I get nothing at all when sound should be playing, Ive cranked up my speakers (logi 5.1 system) and played youtube and music full blast and not even a whisper.

I also see in the windows volume control that about every 10-20 seconds a little blip of sound signal is seen in the volume bars, you know how the volume level bars fill with green color to show fluctuating sound inputs

Also in my realtek HD audio manager it shows the front panel mic jack as the saturated color icon (like something is plugged in). Since the rear panel icons have only saturated color icons for the speaker wires i have plugged in, and it shows me the popup window if i unplug and plug them in, as well as becoming grayed out when unplugged.

The mic jack icon, on the other hand, never becomes grayed out, i have unplugged the front panel jack from the board to no avail. And unless i disable the front panel jack detection, the front panel green icon stays bold and saturated as if I have something plugged in.

So since this seemed like a physical issue with the rear jack at first, the front mic glitch makes me think that there is a problem with the mobo feature that lets you reassign the front panel jack. i have tried changing the assignment of the jack with no progress either.

I know it seems like a physical issue, but i think it has to something to do with the reassignment feature of the front panel jack connector that came with the board, i think its on all x58 boards. I just don't know where to go from here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I can use the x-fi, but I would really like to figure this out, is bugging me that this doesn't work. I am very meticulous with my equipment. My tool collection, motorcycles, camera equipment, computers and everything else is done by the book and very carefully worked on and built. I'm sure I can provide any and all information you desire that is related to this inquiry. Tom's is the place to go for pro tech info, better than any manufacturer support. Thanks again.

EVGA X-58 SLI3 board
I-7 950 @4.1 ghz
Twin EVGA GTX 570s in sli
12gb corsair XMS 3
CoolerMaster V-6 w/aerocool sharks.....(red)
Lian Li mid tower case with disc drive style hdd caddy.
64 GB SSD, (microcenter model, not much info)
1TB WD 7200 RPM HDD
320GB WD 7200 RPM HDD
COOLMAX 1000W Modular cable psu.
Sound Blaster X-Fi card(removed for troubleshooting, as well as drivers)

Screen shot of the audio control panel.
EVGAX58SLI3AUDIOISSUE.png

GuiltyHands

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I have almost the exact same problem, I have an ASUS X58 board (sabertooth model) and my audio was working just fine for about a year. Some time in the last couple months it apparently just stopped. I didn't notice at first because I was using a wireless headset that has it's own usb audio card, but I went to listen to some music through my stereo and nothing happened. My front audio jacks also permenantly show active and it doesn't play anything at all out of the rear jacks. My optical audio jack doesn't even come on (you can see it light up) so I'm wondering if it's a defect in these chipsets. I've tried all the usual stuff all the way up through formatting :(