Is the video card fan gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevmachine

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I noticed the last week or so a strange sound coming from my sister's pc it was like a louder more grindy sound then normal. today I noticed that when I play Bad company 2, that the temp on the card will sky rocket to 90+ degree's and in game The screen will darken out only when I move, and if I stand still it's fine, but then if i move forward a step everything will blacken out a bit. after about 5 minutes or so the screen will turn completely black and when I exit out of the game I see 90+ degrees on card, but the weird thing is is that the temps fall fast at 100%, I tried setting atitool's too keep fan at 60 degree's, but the same thing happened. once the card cooled down to 60 degree's the fan idled down to around 20-30% but when I cranked the fan up too 100% I noticed that it stayed around 59-60 for far too long, almost 20 seconds, even know after having the fan running at 100% the card still showing 56 degree's, normally the card would be in the low 40's when I don't have any games running, so I am wondering if the fan is still spinning, maybe it's worn out, or that sound is showing that the fan is dieing?

Solution
It may be a build-up of dust on the fan throwing it out of balance (causing the noise) and clogging the heatsink fins (causing the heating), in which case it'll be a good idea to remove the card and clean it out.
Use a soft brush to remove what you can from the fan blades then use a can of 'compressed air'-it's available from computer stores- to blow the heatsink out. Remember to blow IN through the EXHAUST so the dust is blown out through the fan.
Oh, and do it outside ;).
The mere death of a cooling fan does not mean the card has to be scrapped but we'll need to know exactly what card it is so we can advise on suitable action if it is dying.

kevmachine

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

at 100% the fan stopped at 56 degree's it wouldn't get any cooler, which is very strange since it's normally low 40's. I just stopped the fan and even with no games running and only firefox the card is heating up far to fast, it went from 56 - 70 in about 45 secnods. I don't know if this is normal but too me it doesn't seem normal or as it was before the grinding sounds.

It may be a build-up of dust on the fan throwing it out of balance (causing the noise) and clogging the heatsink fins (causing the heating), in which case it'll be a good idea to remove the card and clean it out.
Use a soft brush to remove what you can from the fan blades then use a can of 'compressed air'-it's available from computer stores- to blow the heatsink out. Remember to blow IN through the EXHAUST so the dust is blown out through the fan.
Oh, and do it outside ;).
The mere death of a cooling fan does not mean the card has to be scrapped but we'll need to know exactly what card it is so we can advise on suitable action if it is dying.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.