Video card compatibility

meganoid70

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hello,
I'm running an old Toshiba laptop with a pimped pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz and 2Gb of RAM, and was considering trying to upgrade my video card with ViDock2. What range of video cards would my laptop support ? I'm afraid it's not really worth a try and better buy a new one instead. Thanks for any tips !

4745454b

Titan
Geekapproved, do some research.

Its an interesting idea, but I've never played with it. Your laptop isn't that good as P4s generally suck, and 2GBs of ram is nothing. Pairing it with a 4670 isn't a bad idea however. I'm not sure Express card 2 has enough bandwidth for anything faster anyways. (I have no idea what the bandwidth is.) See if they have a forum so you can get some user feedback.

I've done plenty of research. You cannot "upgrade" your video card. You can however attach a external video card, but pairing a 4670 with a p4 @ 2.8 it would pointless because it would be severely bottlenecked by the processor and at $200 it would just be dumber than dumb.

Oh and 2gb of ram is fine for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264-3.html

As you can see from the article in 3d apps 12gb provides no more performance than 3gb.

Is there anything else you would like me to research?

4745454b

Titan
You cannot upgrade your gpu in a laptop, it's soldered to the motherboard.

You cannot "upgrade" your video card. You can however attach a external video card

And that's what he wants to do. Glad you see that now.

Oh and 2gb of ram is fine for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 264-3.html

As you can see from the article in 3d apps 12gb provides no more performance than 3gb.

2 = 3? I never said he'd need 12GBs. Can you even find/quote where I said he needed 3 or 4GBs? My ram comment was because he feels that his laptop is some uber machine. His direct quote was;

I'm running an old Toshiba laptop with a pimped pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz and 2Gb of RAM

Now that I think about it I might have took his "pimped" comment wrong. But when I read it the first time I thought he was thinking 2.8GHz and two gigs of ram was great for gaming. I never said he needed 3 or 4 gigs, but was trying to temper his enthusiasm for his laptop.

You picked up on the use of the external device, don't take this so hard.

You said 2gb is nothing.....that's implying he NEEDS 3 or 4gb for his modest machine. He doesn't.

You also said pairing his cpu with a 4670 wasn't a bad idea.

Considering it would be a huge bottleneck, I think it WOULD be a bad idea. Especially for $200.

Just my 2 cents.

4745454b

Titan
My quote.

Pairing it with a 4670 isn't a bad idea however.

1) I didn't say it was a good idea either. 2) Consider the price of the card, I'm sure should I'd bother buying anything less. Might be some slight bottlenecking due to his CPU, but it shouldn't be horrible. I would never suggest (nor did I) that he needs to get a 9800GT or 5750 in there. I even said I wouldn't put anything faster in the box anyways.

Obviously I've hurt your little feelings today, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to write down your name and never disagree with you ever again. The next time someone comes in and says he wants to use X device to speed up his laptops GPU and you tell him that he can't use it because his GPU is soldered to his motherboard I won't bother correcting you. Is that better? THATS THE ONLY THING I WAS TRYING TO FIX!