Closed Solved

IDE to AHCI wihtout reinstalling windows?

I just switched over to an asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3 and I accidentally installed windows 7 without realizing it was set on ide mode :/ when I change it to ahci mode it will half boot into windows and then bsod. Anyway of getting ahci mode? For faster bootups etc.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ahci wihtout reinstalling windows
  1. Best answer
    Convert from IDE to AHCI

Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.

Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.

Set the value to 0 and click OK.

Now the Start setting should be set to 0.

Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.
  2. I *think* those instruction will result in a BSOD because the drivers aren't loaded.
  3. abekl said:
    I *think* those instruction will result in a BSOD because the drivers aren't loaded.

Well, it worked for me and others that followed this.

U start in IDE -> boot in the windows -> and change the msahci restart and stop by in the BIOS change it to AHCI.

Restart.

Done.
  4. Won't screw my machine up right? :ange: Going to make sure before I do this, because I was originally on a gigabyte board and I believe they have an option to do this without reinstalling windows.
  5. amuffin said:
    Won't screw my machine up right? :ange: Going to make sure before I do this, because I was originally on a gigabyte board and I believe they have an option to do this without reinstalling windows.

Well, if u don't believe me, than check this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/554204/converting-from-ide-to-ahci-on-existing-os

https://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&q=convert+from+ide+to+ahci+windows+7&oq=Convert+from+IDE+to+AHCI+&aq=0&aqi=g1g-j1&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=50642l50642l0l52525l1l1l0l0l0l0l71l71l1l1l0
  6. It actually happens a lot, due to older mobos that they are set by default to IDE and the newer are AHCI.
  7. Takes 2 minutes max. Back up your registry, just in case : )
  8. amuffin said:
    Won't screw my machine up right? :ange: Going to make sure before I do this, because I was originally on a gigabyte board and I believe they have an option to do this without reinstalling windows.

Well, did u do it?
  9. Going to bios now!
  10. Best answer selected by amuffin.
  11. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!
  12. Cool : )
  13. Thanx for the vote amuffin : ))
  14. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

ASrock Windows 7 Motherboards