ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Why is the i7 980x so expensive?
I was thinking of getting one.
I know the i7 2600k is great, but why is it(980x) still stuck at the price point?
Any business reason or technological brief as to why its expensive?
Isnt i7 980x still considered a 32nm manufacturing process?It should have matured.

Solution
Its that expensive for 2 reasons, A) people are willing to pay that much B) it is considered to the best silicon. Similiar processors (same core) at different clockspeeds are generally all made identically, they then test them and given the a clockspeed they are rated for. In order for Intel to rate a chip at that clock speed it probably needs to be in the top 1-5% of the chips they make, therefore there are only so many they can produce because only 1-5% of their silicon meets those standards.

If you want the best you have to pay for it.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Hi sportsfanboy!
Thanks for the reply.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Well its on a 1366 mobo itself so in other words.It has already got its own mobo.
So yeah,
just was wondering about this.But there is a i7 980x price drop recently but its still around the $900 price range.
So yeah, kinda dissapointed that it hasnt gone down in price.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
I can't see it being worth it, the 950 is a fast chip especially when overclocked. I mean unless you need to do some serious rendering/encoding/transcoding, even then you'll need commercial grade software in some cases to use all 6 cores and utilize hyper threading.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Its that expensive for 2 reasons, A) people are willing to pay that much B) it is considered to the best silicon. Similiar processors (same core) at different clockspeeds are generally all made identically, they then test them and given the a clockspeed they are rated for. In order for Intel to rate a chip at that clock speed it probably needs to be in the top 1-5% of the chips they make, therefore there are only so many they can produce because only 1-5% of their silicon meets those standards.

If you want the best you have to pay for it.

Solution