Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just built my first PC! It boots but....

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2011 12:31:18 AM

Hey all, I just finished building my first PC. Here's what I have:

i7 2600k
Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 2X4GB
2 EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1T Hard Drive
Corsair Performance 3 Series 128GB
Corsair CMPSU-1200AX
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
HAF 932

Here's my problem/s: I booted the PC for the first time, I got the 1 beep like I'm supposed to but most of the time when it reaches the GA logo screen it shuts down and restarts on its own. Then its fine. Also when I hit the reset button the PC shuts down completely for a second then restarts -> 1 time it restarted without completely shutting down. What could be causing this?

Also I get something like a 'Boot Failure Insert Media and press Enter' message but I think this is normal if no OS is set up, right?

More about : built boots

March 19, 2011 6:37:51 AM

I always start with the minimum hardware. 1 GPU, 1HD/SSD (boot device) and the DVD reader. see if will post then. once the OS is loaded then go back and add devices one at a time.
m
l

Best solution

March 19, 2011 6:52:49 AM

DiamondDanno said:
Here's my problem/s: I booted the PC for the first time, I got the 1 beep like I'm supposed to but most of the time when it reaches the GA logo screen it shuts down and restarts on its own. Then its fine.

Gigabyte motherboards will do that if, when the system boots, the BIOS detects a setting that it doesn't like. If the system is not overclocked, look very closely at the memory settings. If they are on Auto, you may need to adjust them manually.

DiamondDanno said:
Also when I hit the reset button the PC shuts down completely for a second then restarts -> 1 time it restarted without completely shutting down. What could be causing this?

Pressing the reset button will do that.

DiamondDanno said:

Also I get something like a 'Boot Failure Insert Media and press Enter' message but I think this is normal if no OS is set up, right?

Right.
Related resources
March 19, 2011 9:51:29 PM

@jerreddredd - My machine does post but someone else did suggest I try taking one of the GPU's out which I'll try after I flash the BIO's to the latest version and try out the new memory.

@jsc
'Gigabyte motherboards will do that if, when the system boots, the BIOS detects a setting that it doesn't like. If the system is not overclocked, look very closely at the memory settings. If they are on Auto, you may need to adjust them manually.'

I suspect it might be the memory because I've heard that about GA mobo's before. I took back the memory I had (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH) which was not listed in the supported memory list on the GA website and bought the G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH Ripjaws PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24 1.6V instead. I haven't tried it yet but I will when I get home. I hope I don't have to adjust it manually in the BIO's cause it's pretty intimidating for me since I've never built a PC before. If I had to would I be adjusting the freq, latency(7-8-7-24?) and voltage?

Question. The memory I had in the machine was 1600MHz 7-8-7-24 1.6V but in the BIO's it showed up as 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 ?V(forgot to check). I tried switching from AUTO to profile1 which changed the settings to 1600MHz 7-8-7-24 but the PC became unstable and I had to clear the CMOS and revert back. Is it true all memory will run at 1333MHz on a sandy bridge build?
m
l
March 21, 2011 4:58:13 AM

I've heard pressing the reset button may result in the system restarting at post screen....possible BIOS bug?
m
l
March 21, 2011 6:08:59 AM

no, sandy bridge cpus can handle 1600 ram. read on a lot of places of people running it on 1600. try raising the latency to 9-9-9. that's what other people have used.
m
l
March 21, 2011 8:32:24 PM

I've heard that too, but I've also heard of being able to overclock(or simply change in BIOS) to the memory's manufacture specs. Not a big deal either way as long as its stable and error free.

Latency is currently at 9-9-9-24@1333MHz by default.
m
l
March 29, 2011 1:16:11 AM

Best answer selected by DiamondDanno.
m
l
March 29, 2011 1:23:52 AM

Finally had some time to sit down and resolve the issue. The reboot issue was tied to using the reset button. I installed the OS without a problem and everything runs as it should. I haven't used the reset since I installed the OS and the shutdown/restart at the post screen hasn't happened in 30-40 system shutdowns. I had a b*tch of a time getting my system to detect both graphics card but I finally got it to after 4 hours of trying but I guess that's another story.....thanks for all your suggestions!

Now to stress test, overclock and benchmark.
m
l
!