Small pc with atom cpu, or full blown with phenom

ralmfao

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hello,

I'm looking at building a new system to replace an old amd 2500+ machine - I know a 4X Phenom would be stupidly fast in comparison, but would I get a significant performance gain (as well as saving tons of space!!) with a tiny little pc with an atom cpu? (I don't do games, mostly browsing, chat, MS Office).

Thanks

What are you going to use the pc for and whats the budget?
**Edit, ok, you 'could' have an atom but there are smartphones that will beat its performance :p
I'd suggest a dualcore running at 3.0Ghz minimum and a Mobo with reasonable onboard graphics, any prefererence as to Intel or Amd?
Moto

I use an Atom powered netbook for email when Im traveling . Its small , light , and is FRUSTRATINGLY slow to do anything .

You can build a small form factor pc with a proper desktop cpu , and when you click on things you wont be waiting 3 or 4 seconds as you do with the atom

ralmfao

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks for the feedback - I don't really have an AMD/Intel preference (other than AMD being cheaper :) ).

It sounds like the atom based machines are good as small portable devices, but painful to use all the time...

J

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
My feeling is an mATX motherboard, Athlon II x2 260, 4 gb ram, and you have options and upgrade possibilities. An AM3 880 board $60-90, $65 cpu and fan, 4 gb less than $40. Good small cases cost more and are harder to cool.
Intel a Biostar TH67B $80, G620 Pentium $75? equivalent to Athlon 260. This would allow upgrade to any Sandy Bridge in future. I3, I5.I7
The E350 is better than an Atom, but it still isn't great.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I had an Atom R3610 which worked reasonably well. An Atom-based system is fine for general web-browsing, documents and emailing...if you don't mind it being slow. It's not rapid, but it is cheap and cheerful.

I would advise Athlon x2, x3 or x4 if on a tight budget or an i3 2100 or phenom 955 on a higher budget if you want a good performance increase. Also consider the llano A8-XXX series than should be on sale any day if not already. Atom and E350 are really just super low power minimum performance.

TRENDING THREADS