Hi Guys,

I am finally upgrading my computer. My old build was the following:

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5600+
Mo-Bo: Asus M2A-VM
Ram: Transcend 4GB 800Mhz
G Card: XFX 8600 Gt
Cabinet: I-Ball work horse with in built PSU
Monitor: Samsung 943NWX 19"(1440x900)

I have decided to build my new rig around the following. Have a look and advice please. Keep the budget in mind.

Processor: Intel i5 2500k
Mo-Bo: Asus P8P67-PRO 32GB DDR3
Ram: G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB ) DDR3 2000 Ram
Cabinet: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
G Card: Power cooler 2GB 6970
Monitor: Probably a 32" Samsung. (Looking at the full HD 5 and 6 series)
PSU: Corsair HX 750w
Cooler: Corsair H70 (plan to OC the k series so.....)

I am changing my comp after 4 years and this is something I have saved up a lot for from my salary. My previous build was while I was still studying. I am a proud gamer and have waited years to build this rig. I have some questions.
1. Is my new rig balanced?
2. Is the RAM enough?
3. Is the PSU enough? I will add a second card later so need lots of power.
4. Should I wait for Bulldozer? I am an AMD fan and all my builds were AMD but its taking too long.
5. Do i need a 2600k?
6. I OC a lot. Will the system take it?
7. What kind of jump will I see in perfomance when I game on this?
8. And most importantly, if I OC my proc to 4.5 GHZ or so...will it play Crysis at full HD??(cliched but you know how we gamers are)

Guys please go ahead with any suggestions. Appreciate the help in advance. I am not finalizing my build till an approval her.

IN TOMS DO WE TRUST!!!!!!

More about : build 2500k

Best solution

March 19, 2011 1:48:14 AM

Your build looks pretty solid, but needs a tweak or two.

The 750HX might work (not familiar with AMDs power consumption), but if it doesn go with the 850HX.

Your OC could probably be better with an air cooler; the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ can get to 4.6+ GHz with 2 fans (comes with the necessary brackets).

Don't wait for Bulldozer, and you don't need the i7-2600k. Your system is set up well the way it is.
March 19, 2011 2:39:37 AM

^ Agreed. You could also check out my build guide in my Siggy, 1000$ is sweet.

1. It is balanced, however you should swap out the 6970 for a 6950 2GB or 560 Ti. Both perform pretty nicely and the 6950 2GB can be unlocked to the 6970, while the 560 Ti has great Overclocking performance and runs cooler than the 6950/6970.
Another option is Crossfire 6850s which are very very sweet.

2. Yes it's more than enough for the average user.

3. Get the XFX 850 if your going to stick with the 6970 CF but if you go with the 6950/560 Ti in CF/SLI go with the XFX 750. They're cheaper w/o the hassle of the MIR and sometimes they do have MIR deals that can get it to about 100$.
XFX 750 - 130$ 750HX - 142$
Another thing, both are the same. Both are made by Seasonic, with the same efficiency so you lose nothing by switching.

4. No need to wait.

5. No you don't need a 2600K.

6. Yes the system will, however Overclocking a CPU is different now. Even though some users post crazy 5ghz+ overclocks. Not all SB chips are made to 100% grade. You may not be the lucky few who get the chip that high. So high overclocks aren't a guarantee. With that said, you plan to overclock? Go with the 560 Ti then, you love overclocking that as it passes up the 6970.

7. It's a jump, but won't be EXTREMELY noticeable. If you max out the game already they obviously no noticeable change.

8. Yes it will, but what is the resolution? Most likely the system can handle the load.

Suggestion: Like boiler said, drop the H70. Switch it out for the Hyper 212+ and save some money. The H70 isn't worth the money, it is fake water cooling and just is loud and clunky. The Hyper 212+ is quieter, it runs cool and is about 70$ cheaper. You'll overclock just as well as the H70. I guarantee it.

CHECK OUT MY BUILD GUIDE BELOW FOR MORE ADVICE!
Related resources
March 19, 2011 6:00:57 AM

mailpranshu said:
Hi Guys,

I am finally upgrading my computer. My old build was the following:

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5600+
Mo-Bo: Asus M2A-VM
Ram: Transcend 4GB 800Mhz
G Card: XFX 8600 Gt
Cabinet: I-Ball work horse with in built PSU
Monitor: Samsung 943NWX 19"(1440x900)

I have decided to build my new rig around the following. Have a look and advice please. Keep the budget in mind.

Processor: Intel i5 2500k
Mo-Bo: Asus P8P67-PRO 32GB DDR3
Ram: G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB ) DDR3 2000 Ram
Cabinet: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
G Card: Power cooler 2GB 6970
Monitor: Probably a 32" Samsung. (Looking at the full HD 5 and 6 series)
PSU: Corsair HX 750w
Cooler: Corsair H70 (plan to OC the k series so.....)

I am changing my comp after 4 years and this is something I have saved up a lot for from my salary. My previous build was while I was still studying. I am a proud gamer and have waited years to build this rig. I have some questions.
1. Is my new rig balanced?
2. Is the RAM enough?
3. Is the PSU enough? I will add a second card later so need lots of power.
4. Should I wait for Bulldozer? I am an AMD fan and all my builds were AMD but its taking too long.
5. Do i need a 2600k?
6. I OC a lot. Will the system take it?
7. What kind of jump will I see in perfomance when I game on this?
8. And most importantly, if I OC my proc to 4.5 GHZ or so...will it play Crysis at full HD??(cliched but you know how we gamers are)

Guys please go ahead with any suggestions. Appreciate the help in advance. I am not finalizing my build till an approval her.

IN TOMS DO WE TRUST!!!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <--- some info please like what's your budget, what country are you in, etc.. at least the basics so we know what were working with.

Also that board reverts to 1866hz in regards to RAM, and you don't want 4x2gb, you want 2x4gb ...that way you don't have all your RAM slots filled up side by side creating heat.
March 19, 2011 6:08:30 AM

^ Haha nice catch Why_Me. I saw G.Skill and assumed he meant "DDR3 1333 8gb (2x4gb)" You know the standard.

Yes as he states, Why_Me's points are one thing. Another even at DDR3 2000, you won't notice the difference from that and 1333. Maybe in benches but no one really cares about benchmarks for memory. Usually it is just the CPU and GPU that matter the most.

As for memory, another thing to point out P67 is dual channel. Not quad, not triple. It is the standard dual channel ram.
March 29, 2011 3:11:33 PM

Best answer selected by mailpranshu.
!