Sign in with
Your question

New Build, Random Freezes

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2011 2:59:33 AM

I just built my system and everything seems to be running fine (aside from a problem with the CPU fan header). However, I've been experiencing random freezes...it was even freezing up during the Windows 7 install. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

My build:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M PRO
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM (NOTE: Although this is a 3gb sata drive, I had to install this on a 6gb sata connection due to space issues)
Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Memory: CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Power supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

More about : build random freezes

March 19, 2011 3:47:20 AM

Did you defrag your harddisk after you did the installation of the full drivers?
m
l
March 19, 2011 3:56:11 AM

simonyee04 said:
Did you defrag your harddisk after you did the installation of the full drivers?

is that recommended?
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2011 11:05:13 AM

No, I didn't defrag anything.

I feel I should also mention that my computer doesn't recover from these freeze ups. I have to restart the PC when it happens.

Edit: A little extra diagnostic information.

I ran my PC in BIOS for several minutes to monitor my CPU's idle temps (never went above 50c). I had no issues with freezing during that time.

I exited BIOS and started windows in safe mode. Again, I ran it for several minutes with no problems.

I restarted the computer and let windows open normally. Not two minutes after Windows loaded, it froze again.

Edit: Running it with just one stick of RAM now. So far, so good.
m
l
March 19, 2011 2:23:32 PM

Okay, so my system runs fine with just one stick of ram (4gb) but freezes up with two (8gb). Anyone know how to fix this issue?
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:24:42 PM

Be sure to manually configure your RAM speed, voltage, and timings in the BIOS.

After that, run Memtest86 on each of your RAM sticks to see if one is bad. If they all check out, run it again with all sticks installed just to make sure.

If everything passes Memtest, post back and we'll continue troubleshooting.
m
l
March 19, 2011 5:37:39 PM

rwpritchett said:
Be sure to manually configure your RAM speed, voltage, and timings in the BIOS.

After that, run Memtest86 on each of your RAM sticks to see if one is bad. If they all check out, run it again with all sticks installed just to make sure.

If everything passes Memtest, post back and we'll continue troubleshooting.

The timings were correct on auto, however I did change the speed from 1333 to 1600. I couldn't find any voltage settings though...I'm using the new EFI bios and still trying to find my way around.

Unfortunately I can't run memtest because I don't have a blank CD or flash drive to run it off of.
m
l
March 19, 2011 5:50:42 PM

Try to find that voltage setting. Your RAM is spec'd to run its speed and timings when feeding them 1.65V. Default DDR3 voltage is 1.5v so you may not be giving them enough.
m
l
March 19, 2011 6:31:43 PM

rwpritchett said:
Try to find that voltage setting. Your RAM is spec'd to run its speed and timings when feeding them 1.65V. Default DDR3 voltage is 1.5v so you may not be giving them enough.

I didn't find the option to change it, but I did find some information.

m
l
March 20, 2011 11:14:45 AM

When I woke up this morning I re-added the other 4gbs of ram but now my computer doesn't even detect it.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out it wasn't seated properly. Oops!
m
l
!