Sign in with
Your question

Screen size - Resolution - Dot pitch: how dows it relates?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2011 4:02:25 PM

Hi, I am looking for a graphic design/ movie/ gaming monitor. With all the options out there I am quite lost, Personally I want a 27 inch monitor but I noticed that those monitors also have same native resolution as the 21 inches at 1920x1080.

So whats the (practical)difference between 21 and 27 inch monitor at same resolutions?? and what's the suitable dot pitch?

also, the square monitors, has it all gone extinct?

(I have HD6950)
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2011 4:31:10 PM

I don't think Dot Pitch is even a selling point anymore. It used to be a big deal when CRTs (Cathode Ray Tubes - i.e. the big, heavy, glass monitors) were the thing. Now days with LCD's being so popular it's all about resolution & response time (measured in milliseconds or ms).

And yes, square monitors are as out as mullets. LOL Any decent monitor should be wide screen format these days. (16:9 or 16:10).

For gaming purposes, the lower the response time (2ms is better than 8ms) the better. Keep in mind also that the higher the resolution (1680x1050 vs 1920x1080 for example) the better video card you'll need to keep up.
m
l
January 14, 2011 4:59:37 PM

jerreece said:
I don't think Dot Pitch is even a selling point anymore. It used to be a big deal when CRTs (Cathode Ray Tubes - i.e. the big, heavy, glass monitors) were the thing. Now days with LCD's being so popular it's all about resolution & response time (measured in milliseconds or ms).

And yes, square monitors are as out as mullets. LOL Any decent monitor should be wide screen format these days. (16:9 or 16:10).

For gaming purposes, the lower the response time (2ms is better than 8ms) the better. Keep in mind also that the higher the resolution (1680x1050 vs 1920x1080 for example) the better video card you'll need to keep up.

Well cant help with that, I haven't brought a major hardware for a big while. so, 1920x1080 would be suitable for all graphic works and games? will the 27 inch's pixel looks uglier compared to 21 with same resolution?

What would be appropriate the resolution for radeon HD6950?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2011 5:07:48 PM

1080p (1920x1080) is a perfect resolution for the HD6950. :)  You're right on target there. Good job picking the right card.

Depending on how far away you'll be sitting from the monitor, the 21" may look sharper than the 27". This is simply because that 1920x1080 set of pixels will be packed more closely together on the smaller screen. So, in order to get the picture to look the same you'll need to sit further from the 27".

As far as the "Pixel Pitch" (that's what NewEgg is calling it) the smaller then number the better ideally. It looks like a typical 22-23" display shows a pixel pitch of 0.26mm or 0.28mm. I base that just by looking at the specs on some monitors at NewEgg.com
m
l
January 14, 2011 5:09:15 PM

For a 6950, you should be using 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 if you have a 16:10 moniter).

For moniters, these are the key points:

Resolution: The maximum size that can be displayed on the screen. The higher the resolution, the better the picture quality.

Refresh Rate: The number of times a new image is drawn to a screen, per second. A higher refresh rate allows for a smoother picture.*

*It should be noted, that due to various reasons, most moniters can only handle 60Hz at 1920x1080, although 75Hz or higher can sometimes be selected at lower resolutions. Some very high end moniters can handle 120Hz nativly as well. For the most part, moniters at 1920x1080 almost always support only a 60Hz refresh rate.

Response Time: The time it takes (in ms) a pixel, in the absolute best case scenereo, to change from one color to another.

This is a key point for LCD's: It takes time for the colors for each pixel to change, and if this happens to slowly, you get "ghosting", or an afterimage of the previous image remaining on the screen. As a general rule, try to get a moniter no worse then 5ms in this category, with 2ms being preferable.
m
l
January 15, 2011 1:26:40 AM

Thanks guys looks like I'm going shopping :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2011 10:44:27 AM

if the pixel pitch is very small, then for example one pixel thick text will be rather small and might be harder to read, eye strain and all that stuff. IMO full hd 21'' is a bit uncomfortable already
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
January 15, 2011 2:47:13 PM

Larger monitors of the same resolution will have larger pixels and larger pixel pitch. Up close images and text will not look as sharp compared to smaller monitors of the same resolution.

m
l
!