Sign in with
Your question

PC won't boot - PSU keeps switching on and off

Last response: in Motherboards
February 20, 2012 3:30:37 PM

Hi guys! I haven't been able to get an answer anywhere else and all the search results I've found haven't aided me in this problem yet. I'm here now since there's pretty much no where else to look.

I built the system in questions in 2009. Roughly 2 months ago I encountered a problem where the PSU would continually 'click' on and off after pressing the power button. It will continually do this in intervals (on, off, on, off) at the same time until I switch the PSU off. The fans will spin briefly until the PSU clicks off. I would think of this as being a short somewhere, but I'm no expert. When this occured, I decided to replace the MOBO, CPU and RAM. That fixed the problem. Now just a week or so ago, the same problem returned!

I figured it couldn't be the MOBO since I just replaced that and look how long the old one lasted, so I bought a new Inland Gold 600w PSU and a refurbed hard drive. I installed both and the problem still exists!

Current hardware is Core i5-2500k, 2x4g Kingston RAM, gtx260 superclocked edition card, WD Caviar Blue HD 500gb, gigabyte Z68AP-D3 mobo.

Things I've tried
============
Swapping the 2 RAM sticks in all configurations with one another.
Compression to the CPU cooler in hopes that it wasn't properly seating the CPU.
Have checked most, if not all connections for tightness.
Different hard drive.
New PSU.

More about : boot psu switching

February 20, 2012 3:37:40 PM

1) Either The PSU is excessively dirty or the PSU is no longer good
I don't recommend cleaning them
2) your wiring is shorted shunting power at the PSU make sure all connections are connected properly you should hear a click when connectors are properly connected
3)***Inspect the case for any intermittent contact with a power source especially at the start and reset button ***
4) remove then re-install all vcards and sound cards 1 at a time checking each time to see if the problem is fixed
5) bios may have a problem

conclusion I suspect the power button on your case especially if you reused an old case
m
l
February 20, 2012 3:46:00 PM

I purchased and tried a new PSU yesterday.
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 4:00:38 PM

Katapl said:
I purchased and tried a new PSU yesterday.

And what happened?

What PSU?
m
l
February 20, 2012 4:09:54 PM

Old PSU was Antec Earthwatts 650w. New PSU is Inland Gold 600w. The problem remains identical and unchanged. Press power button, get brief power which spins all the fans, then the PSU shuts off, around 4 seconds later, the same thing repeats, 4 seconds later, it repeats again, over and over until I flip the PSU switch.
m
l
Anonymous
February 20, 2012 4:15:44 PM

I experienced the same problem and found that psu was extremely dirty and that once replaced the psu functioned perfectly also check all connections as this will cause serges to the psu which in turn shortens the life of the psu and may also do damage to other components within your pc if all else fails take it to your local computer shop as they have diagnostic tools that can detect more than we can with trial and error.
m
l
February 20, 2012 4:16:34 PM

Thanks nikorr! I'll go through all of that and double-check everything.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 4:18:30 PM

Katapl said:
Thanks nikorr! I'll go through all of that and double-check everything.

Hopefully its just small adjustment to be made : )
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 4:19:09 PM

Well also just a extra fact for us, what all are you running in your System, you could be overloading your stuff. Which i doubt you can't handle it all
m
l
February 20, 2012 4:25:35 PM

Rockdpm said:
Well also just a extra fact for us, what all are you running in your System, you could be overloading your stuff. Which i doubt you can't handle it all

Hardware-wise? Core i5-2500k, 2x4g Kingston RAM, gtx260 superclocked edition card, WD Caviar Blue HD 500gb, gigabyte Z68AP-D3 mobo.
m
l
February 20, 2012 4:47:03 PM

Noticed there are only brass stand-offs behind 4 of the 7 mounting holes in the mobo. I left the 3 without standoffs unsecured.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 4:48:32 PM

Katapl said:
Noticed there are only brass stand-offs behind 4 of the 7 mounting holes in the mobo. I left the 3 without standoffs unsecured.

It could be shorting and keep causing to shut off.

m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 4:55:34 PM

BTW, I would exchange the fan in the old PSU and vacuum it brush it off and keep it.

It is a better PSU than the new one.

I did that with a few PSU's as a prevention, so they are quiett and cool.
m
l
February 20, 2012 8:02:32 PM

I ordered a couple standoffs to add in to those missing, but I have a bad feeling that the problem once again lies in the motherboard. Oh, and I've also reset the CMOS and it had no effect on the problem.
m
l
!