Sign in with
Your question

Bought brand new graphics card, still cannot get video display

Last response: in Motherboards
February 20, 2012 6:18:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a real newbie when it comes to building computers, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I bought a computer build from a coworker back in 2010 that has run very well up until the latter part of 2011. Occasionally, my display would glitch out, prompting me to restart my computer. It usually resolved the problem. One day, the display started glitching badly, and would start glitching again soon after a restart, until my computer couldn't recognize a display on startup. The monitor stayed black.

I thought it was the graphics card, so I removed it and bought a new one. It just came in the mail today, so I installed it and booted up. Same issue. The monitor stays black, and the motherboard beeps: 1 long beep, and 3 short beeps.

I searched online on Google and on this site for solutions to the problem, and the general consensus seems to be that there is no VGA detected. I don't think it's a problem with my graphics card, since it's brand new, and I troubleshooted my RAM, and that's not the issue either. I wanted to post here to see if I was perhaps missing anything, or what is now the best route to go.

My current build:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo

If you need more information about my build, please let me know. Thank you!
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2012 6:22:35 PM

Do u have the GPU connected to the power?
m
l
February 20, 2012 6:24:32 PM

nikorr said:
Do u have the GPU connected to the power?

Yes, I have the GPU hooked up to my power supply. I was given a couple of extra wires with it, so I think I may go try to replace them and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2012 6:25:25 PM

It is computer RAM related issue. Remove the RAM and install only one and see if it is OK.
m
l
February 20, 2012 6:42:46 PM

nikorr said:
It is computer RAM related issue. Remove the RAM and install only one and see if it is OK.

I did this a bit earlier. I removed my RAM and my video card and powered on my computer, and the motherboard kept beeping over and over again. I checked the beep codes online and it said that the repeated beeping was indicative of a memory error.

I replaced the RAM cards one at a time, and only got the one long beep followed by the three short again.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2012 6:49:25 PM

doobz89 said:
I did this a bit earlier. I removed my RAM and my video card and powered on my computer, and the motherboard kept beeping over and over again. I checked the beep codes online and it said that the repeated beeping was indicative of a memory error.

I replaced the RAM cards one at a time, and only got the one long beep followed by the three short again.

Swap memory location to another slot ...

Try moving it to another slot and then boot the computer.

Try another computers memory.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2012 6:49:46 PM

Can u reset the BIOS?
Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.

How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo... The DDR3-1333 vs DDR3-1600 will shave-off ~10 minutes on a ~2 hour render.

m
l
!