Sign in with
Your question

Does my CPU need upgrading or is a new system needed ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 19, 2011 2:56:55 PM

Hi all

1st time on this site and must say its the best pc forum ever, thanks to all those that have been leaving comments and replsy as you have helped me no end with past pc issues and a recent upgrade to my GPU, my glass is raised to you all !

Please except my spelling as not that great at english.

A quick question for all of you keen pc people in the world though, about 3 years or so ago i built my first pc, can't tell you how pleasing it was to do ! It was mainly to play crysis and bf bad company, it was brill !

Now a couple of years on I was starting to get loads of random crashing and restarts so all fingers were pointing to the fact my GPU was old and the drivers were prob not as supported as they used to be for this card.

Anyways after much research and wanting to stick with Nvidia i decided to go for the Zotac 570 GTX, and so far so good, wicked image quality compared to my 8800GTX and a bit smoother, it does however feel like its being held back a little. Sometimes stutters and feels like iut wants to domore if that makes sense (prob not)

Anyways im not into ocing so wouldn't know how to do it, some people have said it could be bottlenecking my system, to much ram a decent card and old cpu,i dont know though.

Im wondering if I need to rebuild my system or weather an over clock of my CPU will get me through a yr so playing BF3, i read that the E8500 has held its value as its a great CPU, just wondering if an upgrade to the well receved i5 2500 sandybridge CPU and win 7 premium would be a better option and future proof me for another 3 or so years ?

All feeback is apriecated

:sol: 

My current rig.......

ZXNT Tempest case
Cooler master 1000w PSU
MSI P7N Diamond Motherboard
Intel E8500 @3.16 GHZ CPU
8GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Zotac 570 GTX (just purchased to replace my 8800TGX)
The Dreaded Vista 64 bit
a c 159 à CPUs
June 19, 2011 3:14:32 PM

I would determine a budget for the board/cpu/ram and possibly find a buyer for your old stuff first. You will notice the difference, especially if you get a "k" series and overclock it. But it won't be cheap. $180 is the best price I've seen for the 2500K at frys; 8 gb of ram will go for around $50-60 after rebate (frys had 8 gb of Kingston 1333 for $23 after $80 rebate briefly a couple of days ago). Save windows 7 for last. I find deals for it on craigslist. For the board, the new z68 has alot of features for the money.
June 19, 2011 3:19:24 PM

o1die said:
I would determine a budget for the board/cpu/ram and possibly find a buyer for your old stuff first. You will notice the difference, especially if you get a "k" series and overclock it. But it won't be cheap. $180 is the best price I've seen for the 2500K at frys; 8 gb of ram will go for around $50-60 after rebate (frys had 8 gb of Kingston 1333 for $23 after $80 rebate briefly a couple of days ago). Save windows 7 for last. I find deals for it on craigslist. For the board, the new z68 has alot of features for the money.

Cheers for the comment pal, moneys not a problem to be honest but if my rig will play bf3 on say medium I can put up with it.
June 19, 2011 3:56:09 PM

Upgrade to Win7 first and see if that helps at all. You'll need the license anyway for the new machine and Win7 is signifcantly faster (less overhead) than Vista.
!