BUG REPORT: Help required!!

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Have you found a Software Bug within VGA Planets?
Would you like to report Bugs that you have found, but dont know if
they have been reported already?
Would you like to review all the current Bugs within the system?
Would you like to help test to make sure those bugs have been fixed
with each new Host or Client release?

Do your part to squash BUGS!!!!!
Help Tim to Help us, and log all bugs to one central place.

Check out:
http://shove-it.de/open/jochen/wiki/index.php/Bugs

It is somewhat new and the list of recorded Bugs is currently limited,
but everyone has access to record their Bugs there.

Please specify the Host or Client Version number you are using when
logging the bug, and if possible how to reproduce the bug.

Many Hands make light work and everyone's contribution is welcome.

Thank you for reading this BUG extermination Report.

You can write me an email and I will put them in if you like
My addres is keineahnungwas gmx de.

Jochen

Doc schrieb:
> Have you found a Software Bug within VGA Planets?

Some and they are not fixed, but reported some to Tim and all in this
group before some time. But some bugs are hard to test like the from me so
called "intercept bug" (maybe you search for posting in this group from me
with this).

I don't like working online as I pay per minute with a modem. So sorry.
But if I get a mail adress I will write a mail with them (which I
remember) and maybe send it to you or another one if I shall do.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

Black No1 schrieb:
> You can write me an email and I will put them in if you like
> My addres is keineahnungwas gmx de.
>
> Jochen

Mail is send when this posting is sent.
Thanks for your help.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

These vague, derogatory, non-descriptive types of Bug descriptions
shall not be accepted.

nospam schrieb:
> Doc schrieb:
> > New VCR Bug Section added awaiting Bug descriptions
> >

> IMHO the whole VCR is buggy. Or so much of it that it saeems to be the
> whole VCR.
>
> Bye-Bye JoSch.

Great idea. I have a list of bugs I will transfer to here over the next
few days.

I suggest you add a new section for bugs in VCR.exe
--
Paul Honigmann

Doc schrieb:
> These vague, derogatory, non-descriptive types of Bug descriptions
> shall not be accepted.

Do you have a good description how the combat shall work ? Then feel free
to mail me otherwise I can not say if there is a bug or it is intended
like the IMHO buggy orbiting model. Example, I want that my ships follow
and shoot on an enemy ship, but not on a Base. So I disabled "Attack
Ground Target" and "Avoid Gound Base" was OFF. My ships are orbiting and
get hit by the longer range weapons of the enemy ship cause it's flow in
the center and my ships where orbiting and not folowing the enemy ship.
Tried different combination of the switches, but the follow only the enemy
ship if Attack Ground Targets where ON. But then my ships shoot first on
enemy Bases and not on the ships if both in range.

So that there is a save area for enemy ships in combat looks for me like a
bug. Like many more in the VCR. But I'm not sure if it is realy a bug or
intended.

Or why can fighters shoot so quickly and ships must wait until combat tick
50 before they can fire back. That's frustrating if the enemy make 900
damage with each missile hit over a long range and my ships where often
dead before they made a only shoot.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I thought this might cause a rise ;-)

Look JoSch we need to get good descriptions of all the bugs and get
them all listed in one location.
Then we can ask Tim to fix at least 2 or 3 of these high priority bugs
in every software release he makes (plus whatever changes\additional
bug fixes he also wants to get put in). Then over a period of time we
can get rid of all the high priority bugs, down to medium bugs and then
down to the minor bugs. Then Gold Release!

At the moment this bug reporting is not in place and Tim is fire
fighting the bugs as and when they become popular and the minor/lesser
Bugs are soon forgotten. A more structure method of bug fixing needs to
be implemented and it starts by getting a detailed list of every single
last one of these bugs.

What you described below are design\implementation bugs:
All of these need to be listed too and like above, ask Tim to fix just
2 or 3 of these bugs from the full list of bugs in each release and to
ignore all the rest until these two bugs are resolved. Then move on to
the next 2/3.
This is the only way we are going to see Gold on this project, if we
ask Tim to work on the Bugs in small workable sections, and not on
everything at once, we might start to see tangible results.

If the issue\bug you listed is intended to be that way by Tim then the
bug\issue can be closed (by Tim) as intended design. You will then have
to enter a feature change request to have it changed (which may not be
accepted, but shall be duly logged). So when we get closer to Gold,
these feature change requests can be reviewed and maybe implemented at
that stage after the number of bug has been significantly reduced.
Until we have reduced the number of Bugs down, I do believe Tim wants
to have a freeze on implementing any new Feature Change Requests.

There is a lot of work involved in collecting all the bugs, but there
is a lot of us and if you are frustrated with the game then you are a
good person to recruit to help with listing some of these bugs\issues.