• Tuner Cards
  • TV
  • Dual Monitors
  • VGA
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 14, 2011 8:53:16 PM

I am going to purchare a media PC and I was wondering if I could connect a monitor to VGA and a TV to HDMI on so I can watch TV while someone else works on schoolwork. Is this possible and if so will I need a dual port video card? It seems like I should be able to do this using a regular integrated video card and Windows 7 dual monitor management, but I want to be sure before I buy anything. I will probably be buying a TV tuner card and I assume this should work on it as well.

More about : dual monitors vga hdmi

Best solution

January 15, 2011 2:06:40 PM

Yes that will work, with integrated and/or discreet cards. Most newer chips on mobos with integrated have VGA, DVI and HDMI ports. Multiple monitors (including TV) can be enabled in extended or duplicate modes. Settings can be made thru control panel or graphics software. Sound output options are under control panel. Pretty simple really.
My advice on a tuner card is to get one with dual digital tuners. Win7 media center works great with tuners BTW.
January 18, 2011 8:37:17 PM

Jockey may be right with newer MOBO's but that's news to me - last time I was building - onboard graphics chips would only enable one Monitor at a time.

You can view 2 screens though with most PCIe x 16 video cards. Even most of the cheaper cards let you view TV and Monitor.

I'd verify that you can view 2 at once if you are going with an onboard CPU.
Score
Related resources
a b x TV
January 19, 2011 1:27:41 AM

On board graphics support 2 displays. It should work.
Score
a b x TV
January 19, 2011 1:28:55 AM

It should provide you with extended display workspace. One port as the extension of the other. You have define one of the port as primary display
Score
January 19, 2011 3:43:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think the consensus is that it should work but do my research to be sure.
Score
January 20, 2011 9:33:23 PM

hursey77 said:
I am going to purchare a media PC and I was wondering if I could connect a monitor to VGA and a TV to HDMI on so I can watch TV while someone else works on schoolwork. Is this possible and if so will I need a dual port video card? It seems like I should be able to do this using a regular integrated video card and Windows 7 dual monitor management, but I want to be sure before I buy anything. I will probably be buying a TV tuner card and I assume this should work on it as well.

As most newer flat-panel TV's act the same as a monitor this should be no problem.

The one thing that you do have to have is a GPU (graphics card) with the power to drive both units. I wouldn't count on being able to do this with and integrated video. It would be better to get a PC with a GPU that has either twin DVI's or a DVI and an HDMI port.

You get a decent GPU and you will be able to even do things like watch a dvd/TV on one while you surf the net on the other. I do this all the time .

I have an old Phillips 15" monitor in the kitchen that my wife will watch TV on (Hauppage PCI-e tuner) while cooking and at the same time I'm doing Autocad homework on the 22" Acer in my office thru an MSI 250GTS 512. I haven't tried to watch a dvd on one port while using the TV on another, yet.

I have no idea how far you can go with SLI or Eyefinity (and a fast enough PC) to doing many things on many different monitors.

I would go with something a little bit better than a minimal media center pc (ESPECIALLY AN HP ONE!!!). Hp puts really crappy GPU's on its media center PC's (even when NOT integrated).
Score
January 20, 2011 9:37:07 PM

I have also done used an 32" Samsung LCD as a part of this configuration, too so it works with TV's as well.
Score
January 21, 2011 1:35:43 PM

I have had a dual monitor setup aat my work for years but this has always required a dual VGA graphics card as far as I know. I am just starting to learn about all the input types since IT has always ben in control of that here. So to clarify, I will need to get a GPU with multiple input types, but not a "dual monitor" GPU? In othwer words the TV will be HDMI and the monitor will be DVI or VGA and Windows 7 will manage the expanded view to allow for TV on one and say writing a paper on the other? ALSO, this congures another question - will the HDMI send PC's audio out to the TV?
wayneepalmer said:
As most newer flat-panel TV's act the same as a monitor this should be no problem.

The one thing that you do have to have is a GPU (graphics card) with the power to drive both units. I wouldn't count on being able to do this with and integrated video. It would be better to get a PC with a GPU that has either twin DVI's or a DVI and an HDMI port.

You get a decent GPU and you will be able to even do things like watch a dvd/TV on one while you surf the net on the other. I do this all the time .

I have an old Phillips 15" monitor in the kitchen that my wife will watch TV on (Hauppage PCI-e tuner) while cooking and at the same time I'm doing Autocad homework on the 22" Acer in my office thru an MSI 250GTS 512. I haven't tried to watch a dvd on one port while using the TV on another, yet.

I have no idea how far you can go with SLI or Eyefinity (and a fast enough PC) to doing many things on many different monitors.

I would go with something a little bit better than a minimal media center pc (ESPECIALLY AN HP ONE!!!). Hp puts really crappy GPU's on its media center PC's (even when NOT integrated).

Score
January 24, 2011 8:37:55 AM

hursey77 said:

Hi

You can connect monitor (to VGA or DVI) and TV (to S-video or HDMI) to one video card. But there is one problem. Fullscreen video automaticly will minimized when you press anywhere on other display. This problem you can solve with third-party software. Actual Multiple Monitors (http://actualtools.com/multiplemoniotr/).
Just press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-I (by default) and any window will ignore deactivation. You'll can watch a fullscreen video on TV and doing something else on the monitor at the same time. It cost about $30. But you'll get the best multiple monitor software.
Score
February 4, 2011 2:51:10 PM

Best answer selected by hursey77.
Score
a b x TV
February 4, 2011 4:37:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score