March 19, 2011 4:22:59 PM

Build
Part: Item, Store, Price:
CPU: i5 2500k, Microcenter, $180
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 PRO, Microcenter, $164
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RRPM, Newegg, 54.99
CASE: Antec 300, newegg, $45.00
RAM: Gskill GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600, Newegg, $75
GPU: STILL NEED TO DECIDE ON AND BUY - ASAP! (Probably EVGA 1GB GTX 460 from Microcenter)
DVD/Combo: samsung OEM, newegg, 19.99
PSU: Corsair HX750w, Newegg, $112
CPU cooler: Hyper 212+, microcenter, $30

Total ~ $780 (before GPU purchase)

I also have never build a system before. The only experience I have is reinstalling windows, installing additional hard drive, upgrading RAM, and adding HDD.

So I have a few questions before I start booting up...

Hyper 212+ is tightened down pretty well to the mobo/cpu, but it moves around a little if I try to turn it. Is that normal for it to move a little?

Do I need to somehow flash the bios before I even start, or should I just use current bios on mobo?

I started reading my ASUS Pro manual... Am I suppose to turn on the EPU or/and the TPU switch before building? Or do I use those switches later on after I install windows?
March 19, 2011 6:33:39 PM

First things first, get that video card! The EVGA 1GB GTX 460 from Microcenter is a decent price, and I am sure you are ready to fire your machine up.

Now for what you have already. The heatsink should not move at all other than to flex slightly. The brackets should tightly attach the metal block to the top of the CPU. If there is any play there, then something is wrong with the installation. saint19 did very good tutorial on installing this cooler: Installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

You do not have to flash (update) the bios before you start, but it will not hurt to start it up and check it. You can also download this utility to check your memory (and your CPU and some other stuff too): CPUID If the memory timings agree with what you expect, you are good to go. If there is a problem or descrepancy, you can adjust your memory settings in the bios itself.

You can tweak and play with the settings in EPU and TPU in the Asus AI Suite to save power or overclock, and monitor your voltages and temperatures. There is nothing you have to do as part of your build, and can save this for later. There is a MemOK! button that will flash red if you have a problem with your memory compatibiltiy. That is about the only thing that you might have to deal with during your build.

You really should check your temperatures when you first start your PC, especially since there is some question that you have your heatsink installed incorrectly. The computer will shut itself down if the temp reaches 100 degrees celcius, but I would try to catch it well before then. I think the TPU utility will offer that information, so when you first fire up your rig, try to start that application.

If you have a problem, here is a troubleshooting guide:
System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist

Good luck.

m
l
March 19, 2011 6:56:01 PM

eloric said:
The heatsink should not move at all other than to flex slightly.

You really should check your temperatures when you first start your PC, especially since there is some question that you have your heatsink installed incorrectly. The computer will shut itself down if the temp reaches 100 degrees celcius, but I would try to catch it well before then. I think the TPU utility will offer that information, so when you first fire up your rig, try to start that application

What do you mean by 'flex slightly'? It only turns 1 or 2 degrees left or right of center when I use a little force.

How do I check temperatures when I first start PC?
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2011 7:10:51 PM

The board itself will flex a little when force is applied to the top of the heat sink. I have no noticible movement between the bracket and the board. If you do, then the bracket is not attached to the board tightly or the heat sink is not secure to the bracket.

Install windows first then install the Asus utilities. Your motherboard manual should provide instructions for installing/starting the TPU utility. As an alternative, you could download and install RealTemp.

m
l
March 20, 2011 12:11:41 AM

eloric said:
The board itself will flex a little when force is applied to the top of the heat sink. I have no noticible movement between the bracket and the board. If you do, then the bracket is not attached to the board tightly or the heat sink is not secure to the bracket.

I have no movement between the bracket and the board. It is the actual cooler that turns slightly. It is only held in place by one middle screw from the bracket (this middle screw is what it rotates around 1 or 2 degrees. Then there is one little metal pin that comes up from the cooler tower into the bracket.
m
l
March 30, 2011 1:10:04 AM

Ran realtemp while overclocking 2500k to 4.5 ghz. temps all below 60. I must have mounted it correctly even though it moves around a bit.
m
l
March 30, 2011 1:51:08 AM

Good job!
m
l
!