Did I buy the wrong CPU?

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I built my computer back in November. At the time, the GTX 460 graphics cards I bought was $230 and it sounded like it would be able to play WoW, Sims 3, and any other games I wanted with all settings up.

The processor I bought was around $100, and is AMD AthlonII x4 640 @3ghz - I was told it wouldn't bottleneck my GTX 460.

I have 4gigs of G.skill memory and usually have 30-40% still free when gaming.
600watt power supply

Problems

I've been playing World of Warcraft since I built it in November, and have never been able to play with all settings maxed. My FPS will be anywhere from 20-40, and the screen will sometimes freeze depending on where I am. I have shadows on Low now, and everything else on high (not max) and I still only get around 40.

How can I tell if this is a problem with my processor, graphics card, or another component? People say WoW is more dependent on processor, and hearing that makes me wish I bought a more expensive one. There are people with 9800GT who can play WoW on max with 60fps.

Sims 3 is another game I've been playing. They don't have an option for Vsync, so anytime the camera moves you see tearing. When you zoom out a bit to look at the town, the FPS is around 10-30. You only get 40-50fps when you're zoomed close into your house. People with worse computers have none of these problems.

How can I test my computer to be sure it's working right? I almost shelled out the money for an SSD in case it's a problem with my harddrive sending data but I don't know...I'd hate to replace my GPU or processor already and find out I get no boost in performance.

I'm looking for new games to test my computer with

What resolutions are you playing at? Some in game settings depend more on CPU and some depend more on GPU. Try and strike a balance to get the best performance. Meanwhile give a detailed description of your system including exact make and model of every component.

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 20 °C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
BIOSTAR Group TA785G3 HD (CPU 1)
Graphics
HP 2710 @ 1920x1080
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Hard Drives
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (Unknown) 36 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

---I'm not even sure if my graphics card or processor work to their fullest to give me a better frame rate. When I take a peak at the CPU meter while playing Warcraft for example, it's usually around 50%. Never seen it say %100. But the game doesn't use all four cores so maybe that's why it never says 100%. I don't know how to check how hard my GPU is working. It has never gotten hotter than 45C and so I've never heard the fans speed up or anything. I just feel like my hardware is only working half as hard as it can. :(

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
MSI Hawk with Twinfrozr2 811/975/1622 - I've updated the drivers 3 or so times since it's been built but got no performance increase in my games.

My Logtiech G13 shows me the RAM and CPU usage and while gaming it's never gone about 70%. It jumps all over the place though...Never seen it hotter than 40c either even after 10 hours of playing WoW.

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Motopsychojdn: Thanks, I did that, not sure if it's working because my CPU usage is the same, but if I turn everything to high instead of ultra, I get 60-100fps and haven't experienced lag yet.

WoW is running in DX11 and 1920x1080.

Sims 3 still plays kind of crappy. Is there any way to check my CPU, RAM, and Video Card usage while playing a game? I'd like to see how hard my GPU is working

And how can I be sure my HDD works correctly? When I first built my computer I suspected it was damaged in some way.