Help! Graphics card is not being detected by computer

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hey so i just installed a geforce 8800 into my computer. Everything is hooked up right as far as i can tell it is in the pci-e 16 slot and i have the 6 pin power connected to it. I can also hear the fan working. I was reading some other posts on the internet and alot of people said to go into your BIOS and change something to PEG. Well i have been looking all over in my BIOS settings and have found nothing like that. The closest thing i found was some video addapter controller or something like that and it gave me a few options of a long list of letters and numbers but nothing to deal with PEG.
My motherboard is a gateway rs780
if anyone can help me out here i would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Just a thought! You are swapping from ATI IGP?
Did you uninstall the ATI card in device manager before installing the 8800?
The process is uninstall old card in device manager/Shut down and physically replace card/start up running windows default VGA drivers and then install the drivers for the new card.

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
now on top of it when i went to restart my computer all i got was one beep sound and my monitor went into sleep mode. I heard the windows start up music but the screen stayed black. I fixed this by takeing out the graphics card. What can that mean? it sounds like the computer is working but the screen stays black and like i said i hear a beep sound every time

Also it is called Primary Video controller not adapter. This is the only thing i see that might mean anything. my options are
GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI
GPP-GFXO-IGFX-PCI
PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX
IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI

Just a thought! You are swapping from ATI IGP?
Did you uninstall the ATI card in device manager before installing the 8800?
The process is uninstall old card in device manager/Shut down and physically replace card/start up running windows default VGA drivers and then install the drivers for the new card.

Solution

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
ok thanks i will try that. I did go and disable the IGP but this was after i already had the card in. If i unistall it tho will i beable to get it back just in case for what ever reason i dont get this to work and do not want to be stuck with nothing

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
ok i uninstalled it but didnt get to try it out however because i am running into that same problem as before...On startup my monitor is just a black screen like i said it sounds like the computer is running and i hear the windows start up but im not getting anything on the screen

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
hm i think i might know the problem...i was still plugging the monitor into the default slot in my computer that connects it to the integrated video card...lol stupid me now if i could just find the adapter so my monitor cable will plug into the dvi port and save myself 10$+ from best buy =/ thanks alot tho man