Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II 64

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 19, 2011 7:53:57 PM

I have the ole 4450e 2.3..can I over clock this from 2.3 to 2.6 safely? I have the nvidia geforce gts 250 from zotac and it has an over clocker software from its driver, I tried to go to the max but the blue screen of death came on, I have set it to 2.62 and so far so good, just dont want to burn it out or damage it, heard people got it to 2.8 but i dont want to be greedy

More about : amd athlon

a c 141 à CPUs
June 19, 2011 8:11:53 PM

Alot depends on your cooling situation, ie what cooler and case you have. 3Ghz is not unheard of for those CPU's.
m
l
June 19, 2011 8:38:46 PM

-Overclock from the bios. Do not use the windows based tools or monitors because on most am2 boards it causes errors.
-The 4450e is a 65nm brisbane cpu. They tend to run fairly cool compared with the 90nm am2 x2 cpus.
-In the bios on the page usually called the "hardware monitor" page, set the fan target temp to min or fan start temp to 15C, and the fan max temp to 50C.
-enable and set the cpu shutdown temp to the lowest setting, usually it's 70c. Set it to "shutdown" and not "throttle".
The fan will run faster under high cpu loads.
-set the HT bus speed to 800 mhz from 1000mhz.
- set your ddr2 memory to "533mhz" if you have 667mhz memory, and to "667mhz" if you have ddr2-800mhz memory. It will go back up to stock because it follows the cpu's fsb speed. The ht bus also follows the ht bus speed.
- Set the cpu to 1.42volts to 1.45volts depending on your choice of options.

Increase the fsb by 5mhz until windows fails to boot but the system still posts.
-shut the system off and let it cool off for 10-15mins. Then start it and go into the bios right away when it's cool and set the fsb down by 10mhz and exit.
Boot windows and see if the computer works ok for a few mins, reboot and check your temps on the hardware monitor page in the bios, make sure it's not above 54C. If it is lower your fsb by 5mhz. 54C to 58C is ok so reboot the system and test the system with a few benchmarks like prime95 and some gaming benchmarks, see if it works without errors, recheck your temps in the bios right after to make sure they are under 60C at all times.

-putting a old case fan to blow air across the cpu heatsink and chipset cooler can help out.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 10:46:31 PM

I have a compaq presario original case and stock cooler system

travismontana said:
I have the ole 4450e 2.3..can I over clock this from 2.3 to 2.6 safely? I have the nvidia geforce gts 250 from zotac and it has an over clocker software from its driver, I tried to go to the max but the blue screen of death came on, I have set it to 2.62 and so far so good, just dont want to burn it out or damage it, heard people got it to 2.8 but i dont want to be greedy

m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2011 12:43:43 AM

4450e is an energy efficient CPU so it's binned to operate with less vcore. If you have a G2 chip you should be able to go over 3.0Ghz assuming your motherboard is capable of it. Even with a G1 chip 3.0Ghz is doable. A good cooler always helps of course :D 
m
l
June 20, 2011 12:54:37 AM

my mother board can oly go up to a +4800 amd, so when I tried to go past 2.8 it goes to the blue screen of death, I used Nvidia control panel to go up to 2.7 the temps are 115-120f a lil more than the original which was 99-110f. cant do it in the bios since its all grey and cant select it. and I dont want to go to 2.8 because it may not work, when I did it before I went max at 2.827 and it went to blue screen of death. so Im ok with 2.72
m
l
June 20, 2011 12:56:56 AM

I also put 2 fans in, one big blue one in the front and a lil fan on the saide, forget the size, one is huge takes up the full front, and the other covers the small vent. bigger than the 80mm fan but the other is like the cpu fan. the big one is 3 times the size
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2011 3:38:29 AM

You may need to raise your vcore more to get past 2.8Ghz. Also keep in mind that you are overclocking the RAM so you should raise the memory divider by selecting a lower RAM speed. That is likely giving you a blue screen. Also lower your HT link to multiplier to 4x or 800MHz (letting you increase the FSB to 250 before going over the original 1GHz HT link speed). Basically read an AMD overclock guide for more detailed information.

I also want to add that if your motherboard has weak cooling you may want to add another, or just better, case fan to increase air flow and keep all components cool. An overheating north bridge or south bridge will give you BSODs. You could also attach a small active cooling unit to both heat sinks in most cases.
m
l
!