Charging the Sony CyberShot DSC-P200

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 11, 2005 1:29:07 AM

I'm looking into getting a Sony CyberShot DSC-P200 Digital Camera, and
I have a few questions about it.

The biggest concern I have is charging. It seems that I can charge the
battery by just plugging in the camera without having to remove the
battery to charge it? If this is the case, will the charger convert
electric current? Meaning, if I go to Europe (if I manage to actually
get there this year), I can just bring a plug adapter and don't have to
bring a current conversion unit?

My second question is about memory sticks. About how big (MB) is each
picture? I'm trying to get an idea of how big a memory stick I should
buy. Also, is there a limit to how long you can take a video - is
there that 1 minute limit, or is it just constrained by the size of the
memory stick?

Finally, how about the battery life? Would you recommend buying a
second battery, or if I were to charge the battery every day, is one
battery enough to last throughout the day? I know of course that
depends on the usage, but let's say just average use? Does this camera
deliver in this respect or do you think it falls a bit short?

Thanks very much!!!
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:45:39 AM

<ziphem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking into getting a Sony CyberShot DSC-P200 Digital Camera, and
> I have a few questions about it.
>
> The biggest concern I have is charging. It seems that I can charge the
> battery by just plugging in the camera without having to remove the
> battery to charge it? If this is the case, will the charger convert
> electric current? Meaning, if I go to Europe (if I manage to actually
> get there this year), I can just bring a plug adapter and don't have to
> bring a current conversion unit?
>
> My second question is about memory sticks. About how big (MB) is each
> picture? I'm trying to get an idea of how big a memory stick I should
> buy. Also, is there a limit to how long you can take a video - is
> there that 1 minute limit, or is it just constrained by the size of the
> memory stick?
>
> Finally, how about the battery life? Would you recommend buying a
> second battery, or if I were to charge the battery every day, is one
> battery enough to last throughout the day? I know of course that
> depends on the usage, but let's say just average use? Does this camera
> deliver in this respect or do you think it falls a bit short?
>
> Thanks very much!!!

Is any of this covered in the owners manual?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:33:44 PM

Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
? <ziphem@hotmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> I'm looking into getting a Sony CyberShot DSC-P200 Digital Camera, and
> I have a few questions about it.
>
> The biggest concern I have is charging. It seems that I can charge the
> battery by just plugging in the camera without having to remove the
> battery to charge it? If this is the case, will the charger convert
> electric current? Meaning, if I go to Europe (if I manage to actually
> get there this year), I can just bring a plug adapter and don't have to
> bring a current conversion unit?
I have no idea, mine (Kodak CX 7300)uses ordinary AA cells and you can buy
the charger and cell combo you like.You can go to a shp and ask about
details, as I did before buying mine.

> My second question is about memory sticks. About how big (MB) is each
> picture? I'm trying to get an idea of how big a memory stick I should
> buy. Also, is there a limit to how long you can take a video - is
> there that 1 minute limit, or is it just constrained by the size of the
> memory stick?
I bought 128 MB for 33 euro which can hold up to 160 pictures in best
quality in 3.2 MP.
In mine, the video limit is constrained by the memory card, and is 7 mins
for 128 MB (silent).I strongly suggest you get a camcorder for good video.

> Finally, how about the battery life? Would you recommend buying a
> second battery, or if I were to charge the battery every day, is one
> battery enough to last throughout the day? I know of course that
> depends on the usage, but let's say just average use? Does this camera
> deliver in this respect or do you think it falls a bit short?

The known as "memory effect" prevents partial discharged batteries being
fully charged when charged.Always have a spare battery, just in case.Nicd
batteries are very cheap;I got 4 cells with charger for just 11 euro.
> Thanks very much!!!

February 14, 2005 9:14:57 PM

I have read that the P200 is very little changed aside from slightly larger
LCD screen so most of the following would apply.

On my DSC P150 (According to the User's Manual) I can get 67 "Fine" grade 7
Megapixel images or 132 "Standard" grade images on a 256 MB Memory Stick. If
you take 5 Megapixel pictures it's 97 and 132.

The batteries are said not to be subject to the "Memory Effect". I did
purchase a second battery pack, but regret it now as suspect I won't really
need it. (I have heard that the battery packs have a shelf life of only
about 2 years so mine will likely "die of old age" rather than use.) For 7
Megapixel Images (while using the LCD screen) they estimate 320 images, or
approximately 160 minutes on a full charge. It takes about 200 minutes to
fully charge the battery. The manual states you can use the supplied AC
Adaptor in any country within 100V to 240V AC, 50/60 Hz.

The movies are restricted by the Memory Stick size, and can only be shot
using a Memory Stick Pro. I haven't tried taking any.

There is a good review on the P150 (which is very similar to the P200) that
should answer many of your questions:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/p150.html

Lola MacLean
Remove the obvious to e-mail
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:27:22 PM

In article <110ol4o40hfp714@corp.supernews.com>,
"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote:

> <ziphem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking into getting a Sony CyberShot DSC-P200 Digital Camera, and
> > I have a few questions about it.
> >
> > The biggest concern I have is charging. It seems that I can charge the
> > battery by just plugging in the camera without having to remove the
> > battery to charge it? If this is the case, will the charger convert
> > electric current? Meaning, if I go to Europe (if I manage to actually
> > get there this year), I can just bring a plug adapter and don't have to
> > bring a current conversion unit?

The in-camera charger Sony usually supplies is multi-voltage and you
should have no problems when traveling. You need to get a travel adapter
as europe operates on 220/240 AC. However, often the charger supplied is
big and bulky and if you need an external charger then Sony will sell
you one of their expensive accessories.

> > My second question is about memory sticks. About how big (MB) is each
> > picture? I'm trying to get an idea of how big a memory stick I should
> > buy. Also, is there a limit to how long you can take a video - is
> > there that 1 minute limit, or is it just constrained by the size of the
> > memory stick?

Some cameras have a limited capacity for video. If you're going to be
recording a lot of video a digital still camera is not the thing to use
- they swallow huge amounts of memory - hire yourself a proper digital
video camera. Sony's memory stick development seems to be very
short-sighted - at the last count there were 4 different types of memory
stick and some cameras accept one but not the other!

> > Finally, how about the battery life? Would you recommend buying a
> > second battery, or if I were to charge the battery every day, is one
> > battery enough to last throughout the day? I know of course that
> > depends on the usage, but let's say just average use? Does this camera
> > deliver in this respect or do you think it falls a bit short?

Yes. You will need a 2nd battery. Sony's InfoLithium technology can
predict battery condition down to 1 minute, however you'll be
re-charging the battery everyday as you'll only get 120 minutes of use
for each battery. These spare batteries are also very expensive.

What you need to consider when buying a Sony product is all the extra
things you need to make the camera useful.

Other manufacturers seem to have the edge over Sony in this respect -
they appear to want to sell you a useful gadget - Sony just wants you to
keep spending money.
February 22, 2005 12:27:23 PM

In article <anyone4tennis-C9FF28.09272122022005@newssv.kcn.ne.jp>,
anyone4tennis@hotmail.com says...
> Yes. You will need a 2nd battery. Sony's InfoLithium technology can
> predict battery condition down to 1 minute, however you'll be
> re-charging the battery everyday as you'll only get 120 minutes of use
> for each battery. These spare batteries are also very expensive.
>
> What you need to consider when buying a Sony product is all the extra
> things you need to make the camera useful.
>
> Other manufacturers seem to have the edge over Sony in this respect -
> they appear to want to sell you a useful gadget - Sony just wants you to
> keep spending money.

Also, watch out for 3rd party batteries!

Radio shack sell a nice line of info-lithium for Sony cameras that wont work
in Sony Cameras!!! Figure THAT out.

I bought several of them for my Sony F-717 which uses the same battery as my
Sony digital camcorder and my Sony F-828,, Guess what, they work in both the
cam corder and the 717 but the 828 comes up with a screen on the viewfinder
saying "USE ONLY SONY INFO-LITHIUM" and the camera shuts off.

The battery meets all specs for the 828 except it doesn't identify itself as
being SONY.

This is also true of batteries for Sony V-1 and the Sony 5mp Mavicam. They
will NOT accept batteries from another manufacturer.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.