Sign in with
Your question

Need quick advice: Upgrading RAM

Last response: in Memory
February 21, 2012 3:43:41 AM

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM, but not sure what the best option is for me. Right now I've got 6GB (I have as ASRock x58 Extreme MB, so triple channel) of this DDR3 1600 in my system, with 3 x 2GB chips. I have three open slots.

I'm looking to go up to 12GB, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. I'm not sure which would be better:

1) Buying 6GB of new RAM that would function with the old set. I've heard the most important part is that the voltage and timing match, so this 6GB set seems like the most cost-effective option.

2) Selling my old RAM, and buying a 12GB kit that clocks faster, like this one.

Both options cost about the same, and the second one most likely costs less. What's confusing me most at the moment is that even though the second option clocks higher at 2000, it has timing of 9-11-9-27, with a CAS of 9. My old memory has timing of 8-8-8-24, with a CAS of 8. I know it's possible to adjust timings, but my current level of tech savvy wouldn't allow me to make these adjustments, unless it was a very easy thing to do.

So which matters more, clock speed or timing? What would you recommend? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
February 21, 2012 3:54:41 AM

you are probably going to be better off with ddr3 1600 with the lower timings.
m
l
February 21, 2012 5:16:52 PM

If you stick with ddr3 1600 if your willing to speed 100 bucks on the 12 gb link you posted, why not just buy a 16gb kit for 89.99 like this one :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newegg has many 16gb 1600 kits for 89.99. Search around on there a bit and you could get more gigs for your money.most are set at a 9-9-9-24 speed which is about what your old ram had
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2012 3:23:32 AM

Granolamonkey said:
My motherboard says it supports triple channel. Would a 16GB kit with 4 units still work?

It "should" work just fine....just like with any memory there are plenty of ifs ands and buts

without looking at the manufacturer's documentation for your board, I can explain how the setup in my board (and my understanding of all triple channel boards) works..

I have 6 slots broken into 3 separate channels, If you were to get a single 3 channel kit like a 3x4GB kit...you would have each of those sticks in a separate channel.

If you were to get a 16GB kit (4xGB) you would have 2 sticks in channel A and 2 sticks in channel B and the board would run in dual channel configuration (at no speed degradation mind you)

A triple channel motherboard just means it has the ability to utilize three separate channels versus two

I am no memory expert and still trying to get a really solid grip on all of it so if anyone has something different to explain I would be just as interested as you to hear it
m
l
February 22, 2012 5:21:03 AM

Granolamonkey said:
My motherboard says it supports triple channel. Would a 16GB kit with 4 units still work?

There are some motherboards that would still run in triple channel mode if there are 4 sticks of ram in the system. We would need your motherboard model to tell you for certain if this is the case tho.
m
l
!