Does a video card need to be compatible to MB and OS?

jjhall5150

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello,

I am looking to replace my video card in my rackmount system that I use for a DJ business. The video card's HDMI input is no longer working.

My video card is a MSI N955GT-MD1G/D2. It is no longer available. It was a DDR2 with 1GB of RAM

I would like to update the card to a new model, but I am unsure if Graphics cards need to be compatible with the motherboard and/OS

My motherboard is a Intel DP35DP with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor P6600
PCI Express slot

Can I purchase ANY PCI Express card that will fit??? or does it need to be specifically compatible with the MB and OS

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week (the closer the better

BUDGET RANGE: $100-150) Before Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playback of videos for specific DJ software, Virtual DJ and OTSAV

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI N955GT-MD1G/D2 and CoolerMaster 550

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU - Intel Quad Core P6600 / MOBO - Intel DP35DP / MEMORY - 8GB Kingston RAM / COOLING - 7 Fans

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: New Egg, Tiger Direct

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: PCI Express, been using MSI, but open to anything solid and reliable, at least 1GB dedecated RAM

OVERCLOCKING: Not necessary

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

Thanks for the help

Jim Hall
Musical Dreams
Pittsfield, MA.
www.musicaldreamsdj.com
www.berkshiredj.com

jjhall5150

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
rolli,

maybe you could explain something to me, (I'm new at this so I get confused sometimes)

If my current card is 1GB and the card you linked to is 768MB, why is that card more powerful with less memory????

Is it because of the difference in DDR-2 vs DDR-5??