Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Differences between mobos and will it conflict with ram and cooler

Last response: in Motherboards
February 21, 2012 4:51:25 AM

Hello, I'm building a 2500K OC rig and got a Scythe MUGEN 3 and Gskill ripsaw 2x RAMs.

My question is what are the differences in the following ASUS and ASrock mobos and will they conflict/block RAM slots with the mugen 3 cooler.

ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

ASROCK Z68 EXTREME 3 GEN3
ASROCK Z68 EXTREME 4 GEN3

I know that the higher and more expensive models have more connectivities and SATA slots, but what other differences are there including in terms of OCing?

Thank you in advance.

More about : differences mobos conflict ram cooler

Best solution

a c 199 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 21, 2012 6:29:49 AM

The Mugen will overhang RAM slots on any motherboard I have seen. The good news is that your Ripjaws is low enough it fits under the cooler. I have the same issue with my Mugen 2 and Rpijaws X. Just install the RAM before you install the Mugen and you should have no problems.

The differences between those motherboards are basically just in features. There should not be a difference in overclocking as long as they have the same power phases.

February 21, 2012 6:31:52 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Are there are differences also in terms of the northbridge heatsinks?
Score
Related resources
a c 199 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 21, 2012 6:43:07 AM

There may be minor differences like that. I do not know for sure without doing a side by side comparison.

To be honest even the more "budget" boards as long as they have all the features you want will overclock Sandy Bridge K series processors quite well.

For the 2500k/2600k ~4.5Ghz is the sweet spot. You can run that on most chips 24/7 at safe voltages and temps and going over that does not result in much increased performance.

Just keep your CPU at 1.36v or under and temps in the upper 60s low 70s when stressing with Prime 95 and your CPU will last for years. When you start approaching 1.4v you start seeing the CPU degrade due to a process called electromigration. It can reduce the life of the CPU to a matter of months unless you are using custom water cooling.

My 2600K has been at 4.5Ghz for over a year now at 1.32v with Hyperthreading on and temps in the upper 60s C when stressing with Prime 95 with my Mugen 2. The Mugen 3 is a little better than the 2.

Edit: Also make sure you use 1.5v RAM. DDR3 1600 cas 9 is the best match with Sandy Bridge.

You may also want to check out Intel's new overclockers insurance. For $20-$25 you get a warranty that specifically covers overclocking and gets you one, no questions asked replacement processor. Great deal.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
Score
February 21, 2012 7:35:34 AM

Ah, thanks for the tip there. Didn't realize 1.4v+ would deteriorate the CPU.

More worried bout the motherboard's endurance when OCing, thus why I asked bout the northbridge.
Score
a c 199 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 21, 2012 7:48:20 AM

The Asus boards both have 12 phase CPU VRM. I think the AS Rock boards have 8 phase VRM. That should make the Asus boards more stable and better overclockers.

As I said above though, even budget boards are capable of high overclocks because of how easy the K series chips are to overclock. You no longer have to buy a high end board to squeeze the most from your chip.
Score
February 21, 2012 7:55:49 AM

Ah great :) 

Thanks very much for your time! I think that settles on ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 as my choice then.
Score
March 2, 2012 6:10:27 AM

Best answer selected by vermin.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 9, 2012 6:47:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!