wooky

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Just put together my new rig and getting idle temps of 45C. What am I doing wrong. System is bog stock and no o/c. Stock intel heatsink gave 50C idle temp (according to BIOS). Installed Hyper 212 + and dropped 5C.

RIG:
m/b -ASUS p8p67 pro
CPU - Intel I5 2500k
Cooler - Hyper 212 +
PSU - Antec TP 750W
RAM - 8g Ripjaw X
HDD - W/D 2 tb Green

I have the side off the case so airflow is not an issue. I Put the least amount of A/S 3 thermal paste on cpu. Am I doing something wrong or missing something ??

Any help is greatly appreciated

beyond

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
45C is a bit higher than normal, but i wouldnt worry about it.
Besides hyper212 is not a very high-profile cooler.

If you can add a side fan, it would be better to keep the side panel on to maintain a consist airflow in the case.

Bawb3

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
What Case are you using?
Sounds like you aren't getting enough airflow.
Cable management helps ALOT too.
Or like the above poster, re-do the thermal compound.

wooky

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Thanks guys,

After reading the replyz & several other posts, it looks like evryting is normal, and that the BIOS is trippin. I have d/l realtemp, hwmonitor, & prime95 & I will try them over the next cupla days for a true result. I offer my appologies as it appears that I suffer from Techno fear. Will post results in a few days so that other noobyz dont spin out either.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but can anybody suggest what type of 2nd fan I could attach to my Hyper 212+ in a push/pull setup to get temps way down, as the temptation to o/c this 2500K beast is almost irresistable !!!

Thanks again to the community for your words of wisdom.
Wooky :)

wooky

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

running 3rd party temp software, idle temp 17 C. Ambient is about 12 C @ 2am. Under load on Crysis 2 35 C. Is this normal, which temp is real. ?? BIOS or 3rd party s/w ?

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have my SB 2500k OC to 4400 via the automatic OC feature in my BIOS. When I go into the BIOS the Hardware temp reads 40.5C to 42 C which is fine. When I boot into Windows 7-64 and use my AIDA software (worth the $$ BTW- many diagnostic features) it reads @28C idle. I'm pleased. If the 2500K is "bone stock" I imagine 17C idle is possible. If you have good airflow (side off?- Isn't it better to have it on with good input/output to create a flow through?) you should be fine. BTW I have the Hyper212+ and bought another CoolerMaste 120mm (get the Bladerunner 2000rpm) to add to it so I have a push/pull effect.

qwerty123456

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
For some reason, the bios runs very hot, I have no clue why. Once you boot into windows the cpu usage will go down to zero and subsequently you'll go down to 28 or whatever.

The fan on the back, on the left of all the plugs and usb, should be a good one. (I want to get Noctua, actually, but I just use my old case fan, an Antec 3 speed). I have a fan on my heatsink which goes through the heatsink and then that air is brought out by the back case fan.

As a test, I moved it from high to medium speed (probably a 500, 600 rpm difference) and under load temps were at like, 60 or 65 when they're usually 50 or less.

So, a good fan is crucial.

Wooky, are you using realtemp? (coretemp is fine too)