Can I upgrade from integrated?

Puckman384

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hi

To start off, I know something about computers, but not a lot. Go easy on me :). I am running a laptop with Intel media accelerator HD integrated graphics and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade. I did some digging around and found a program called AIDA64, which told me my computer has six PCI-E slots. Is is possible to upgrade my graphics then? Any response is good.

Thanks

Solution
Yeah, the HP Pavilion line is a mainstream setup. More than likely not possible to change out the GPU as it's built into the motherboard. And I highly doubt they designed it to accept a discrete plug-in GPU. You have to specifically buy a specialty gaming laptop to be able to insert your own GPU.

Couple manufacturers actually sell laptops without a GPU in them so you can do just that. :) But those GPUs are very spendy.

Here's an example of a worthy gaming laptop:

MSI GX640 (Core i5 450M + ATI 5850 + 4GB RAM + 1680x1050 res) $1,082!
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx640260us-p-2766.html
If you're using a laptop, there's about a 95% chance you CANNOT upgrade your graphics. That AIDA64 program is likely showing that the motherboard has a PCI-E bus in it for some of the integrated parts.

You could provide the exact brand & model number of your laptop though and someone might be able to look into it. But chances are, there's no chance. ;)

Puckman384

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

Thanks

The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV6-2162NR. I doubt I will be able to update this. Works great for doing homework or surfing the web though, so I don't mind if I can't.

Yeah, the HP Pavilion line is a mainstream setup. More than likely not possible to change out the GPU as it's built into the motherboard. And I highly doubt they designed it to accept a discrete plug-in GPU. You have to specifically buy a specialty gaming laptop to be able to insert your own GPU.

Couple manufacturers actually sell laptops without a GPU in them so you can do just that. :) But those GPUs are very spendy.

Here's an example of a worthy gaming laptop:

MSI GX640 (Core i5 450M + ATI 5850 + 4GB RAM + 1680x1050 res) $1,082!
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx640260us-p-2766.html

Solution

Puckman384

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

I'm going to college soon and a laptop would be easier and more portable. I'm getting an android phone too.

Thanks everyone for your answers