GA-970A-D3 with Phenom II not booting to BIOS (black screen, no beeps)

feeble

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Sent this query to Gigabyte, but they are in no hurry to respond so I thought I'd try on this forum too.

I cannot even get to the BIOS or POST stage in the motherboard. I have a black screen, and no beeps. I have 4 memory sticks, and have tried using single sticks in different slots, so it is not the memory. The CPU is brand new and has the fan attached which powers on just fine. It is not the graphics card, as I have a spare vga too and it makes no difference. I have read that with some newer CPUs you need to upgrade the BIOS. Is this the case here? The problem is that as it does not boot to even the BIOS screen, how can I possibly update the BIOS? I do not have an older AMD CPU to test wtih. Any advice greatly received.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-970A-D3(rev. 1.x)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.x
BIOS Ver : Not known

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : 8400gs super
CPU Brand : AMD Model : Phenom Speed : Phenom II X6 1090T
Operation System : NA SP : NA
Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRIII
Memory Size : 16gb Speed : 1600 MHz
Power Supply : 1.5v W

tubs11

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi feeble,

I have the same problem i.e. black screen and no beeps. I am using the same motherboard, did Gigabyte eventually get back to you? I'll list my full system specs just in case it's helpful.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
PSU: 600W
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045 2.7GHz - AM3, 9MB Cache,95W
RAM: Kingmax 4G PC-10600 1333MHZ DDR3 Single Stick
GPU: Sapphire HD6850 1G GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DP

Hope you are having better luck with this than I.

Tubs

tubs11

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hey Systembuilder, Feeble,

I followed the Tom's Hardware guide for Video, POST, Boot problems, and worked out that my RAM was no good (see point 23 of the guide). I got error beeps when there was no RAM in the system, but nothing when my RAM was seated.

I bought some new RAM today (CORSAIR 2 x 4GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9) and installed it. I got an error code (3 long beeps - Continuous) before I then connected the video card, reset the CMOS, and connected my keyboard. The next time I turned it on, I got the POST screen! Hurrah!

Good luck with your computer Feeble! Also, if you are swapping RAM to test for bad memory, don't forget to reset the CMOS too.

Cheers,
Tubs

tecnopolis

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I SOLVE REMOVING THE PROCCESOR AND INSTALL AGAIN, YOU CAN VERIFIY IF THE PROCESSOR IS BAD LOCATE THE BOARD NO BEEP.

TRENDING THREADS