Vga card on fire

HexaPro

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello,
does anyone know what makes a graphic card burnt? My pervious PixelView 6600GT got burned, I was playing Game House's games and suddenly the PC turned of, when I push the power button again I saw fire on my VGA card component, so I quickly turned off the PC but it's too late, my 6600GT are history now. Today, I tried an old VGA card (7300GT) for my PC, but when I turn on the power it happened again, the VGA card caught fire once again, and I notice that the PCIe pin were burnt too. How come? What makes it short circuit like that? I'm afraid it will happen again with my future VGA card.

Dont try to turn it on until you replace something!

What are your full specs? Make and model of the PSU too.

To cook a card its likely the PSU, but there is the chance the motherboard got hurt too since something like a 6600GT pulls all its power from the board.

HexaPro

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I do use the same PSU, it's a local brand "Simbadda" with 550W output.

The first spec were DFI LAN Party nF4 SLI-DR, Athlon 64 3000+, Corsair VS DDR 400 2x 512MB, PixelView 6600GT. The card was burnt back in 2007.

Now I'm only using MSI 945GCM5 V2, Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz, Visipro DDR2 800 2x 1GB, PixelView 7200GS, 2x Opitcal Drive, 4 Hard Drive. Not much of a spec.

Yesterday I was trying to test my customer VGA on my board and it got burnt again, it's GIGABYTE 7300GT.

Now the PC is working fine, but I just worried it might happen again someday.

So you guys think that the only possible cause is the PSU? No other things? I'll try to get a new one then.

Anyway, does a 500W or 550W PSU is enough if someday I change my spec to Athlon II X4 or Phenom II X6, 2x 2GB RAM & GeForce GT 430, still with 2 Optical Drive & 4 Hard Drive?

Thx for the response guys.

HexaPro

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

I've done that last night, the slot is fine. I'm using the PC right now & I'm using PixelView 7200GS card. I got onboard graphics & never tried the PCIe slot until last night just to check whether those old cards works or not.

But when I first tried to place both cards in the slot, suddenly my PC wont boot. So I reset the BIOS, reattach the RAM & the board power pin several time until it boot successfully. That's when the GIGABYTE card got burnt.