Major Upgrade Advise Needed.

netboom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
So I came to the conclusion yesterday that old mobo wont allow me to upgrade to the speeds I want to make enough differance. So I want to see what I can salvage from my old system and build a new one. Here is what I've got to salvage.

CD/DVD RE-Writer.
IDE Hard Drive - I can change this at a later date if needed.
4gb of DDR2 - I'm not sure if I can make use of this, shame to throw it away though.
Graphics card ASUS EAH5400 series This will do for now.

I'm looking at building something that I can upgrade my graphics card and CPU more down the road if needed. I took a quick look on overclockers and came up items below. I can stretch the budget to the £450 mark if it makes sense. I've included memory because I dont think the new MB support ddr2 do they? anyway any issues with the setup or recommend changes would be appreicated. Thanks for looking, this forum has been a great help the last few days. Thank you!

PCSETUP.png

netboom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

link to the full picture for prices is here

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
are you planning on overclocking it at all? I would advise just getting the 955 rather than the 965 and just bumping the multiplier up 2 notches and you've saved yourself a bit of money.

I have that motherboard, and though the reviews are quite nice, I've run into a few problems. Namely that the LAN is crapping out on me. The mobo won't manage over 225 FSB. With an unlocked multiplier that isn't a big deal, but it's still a limiting factor. The mobo also has voltage/watt issues and shows them higher than the actually are. It's not a bad board for the price, but I'd advise staying away... far away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131699

^^ is the board I'm replacing the asrock one with.

If you decide to keep your ddr2 ram you can buy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130237

I'm googling the asus eah 5400 and seeing no solid results. What graphics card is it exactly?

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Also, bear in mind that AMD is releasing their AM3+ socket with their new line of CPUs, so the am3 line will be a dead platform and most likely won't be seeing any new CPUs. So you can't upgrade your CPU unless you plan on buying a new motherboard/cpu later on down the road.