Advice on power supply to fit ASUS CM6850-07 chasis

happytexann

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello,
Just rec'd my CM6850-07 - no gaming but some HD video clip editing and creation on this computer - power supply is 300W now -
1. i7-2600 w 8MB L3 cache and 3.4ghz; i7 has 8 way processing -
2. 8gb DDR3;
3. 1TB serial ATA & 500GB for extra storage with 2 external storage HDDs;
4. Nvidia GT530 with 2GB memory;
5. running Win7 Ultimate --

what power supply will fit the chassis of this machine? limited budget....as I've spent my $ on the computer

happytexann

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for the quick answer - my ASUS CG5270 recently croaked...HDD...power supply and motherboard... and it happened when I started running a HD video graphics editing program and actually started editing the video - I am sure that I crashed the system. I don't know much about computer hardware, only that I need it to work efficiently and effectively - I've read a lot about the ASUS computers having inadequate power supplies if you are really pushing them -- gaming, video editing, etc. I just want to protect my investment and if the 300w is fully configured and suitable I won't change it - thank you for your prompt reply!

happytexann

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
BTW - in the process of trying to fix the CG5270 I bought a diablotek 600W power supply and it's just sitting here - however, it gets such poor reviews (I had no idea power supplies could vary in quality so much) that I was afraid to install it in my new machine -- haven't even checked to see if it would fit... ADVICE?

happytexann

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
OK - how do I know if the Antec will fit the box? Are there exact specs somewhere without having to open my case again to measure? I can't find the specs for my machine on ASUS website and have been on their live chat for 20 minutes with no response about the exact PSU, size of chassis, etc....

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSES

If I keep this power supply is there any way to know if it's functioning properly or not? What would be a symptom of failure or inadequate power?

alendrial

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I recently had to upgrade the power supply on this system to upgrade my graphics card. a Dynex 540W power supply is probably the most that will fit without swapping the chasis. I've had it running fine for awhile now, and the cabling is suitable. If you need to get above 600w you're going to have to swap it out for a gaming case... not a big deal in the end... mostly a lot of unscrewing, moving parts, etc. the Dynex has not overheated or encountered any other issues, which the ASUS BIOS on this system lends itself well to monitoring.

Garfunkel64

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Sorry, this is off topic, but i didn't want to start a new thread: What type of RAM doers this baby have? I have just gotten a new GTX 580, and want to up the RAM to 16 GB (4x4GB) to get the full performance out of it, but I'm wondering is it 240 pin or 184? If anyone could give me the specs, I'd appreciate it! Thanks guys!

wowaddict

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

I just purchased what seems to be this years version of the same computer. I upgraded the power supply with a Dynex 520 watt. I did this to upgrade my video card (because the recycled one the put in this $800 tower stinks for gaming). The one thing I am not sure about, it seems to get stuck in standby mode sometimes. Anyone know how to fix that tweek?