Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Future Proof?

I am preparing to build a new computer and in my build I decided I would use the Phenom II X4 955. I haven't bought any parts yet because I was unsure whether of not this processor is future proof. I want this processor because its the right price and got good reviews, But would it be worth waiting for Bulldozer? I worry Bulldozer will be waaaaay too expensive, even just for the 4 core processor version. What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom future proof
  1. 1. Ok, But Is it worth waiting until Oct./Nov.
    2.I don't mean truly "Futureproof" I mean what processor will be sufficient for gaming in the next few years.

    3.Budget is $600 for the entire computer. The current build is $580. The budget for the entire CPU will be $135-ish. Unless I have to change the motherboard (ASrock 870 Extreme3) and the money not spent on the motherboard can be spent on the CPU.

    4.USA

    5. Dozens of games, Examples would be the games in the Total War series, Portal 2, Fallout: New Vegas.

    6. 1280 X 1024

    7. Do I really need 6 cores?

    8. 8 ghz is awesome but I don't think I'll need that if it is out of my price range.

    If you would like I can post my build.
    Thanks
  2. 1. No, not at your budget.
    2. 2500K.
    3. Nothing's remotely future-resistant at that price. 965's probably the best you can do.
    4. Convenient
    5. OK
    6. Then you're good lol. Everything's gonna be a whole lot easier to run.
    7. NO. Most games only use 3-4; many use only 2.
    8. Of course it will be. Bulldozer is gonna be total high-end, expensive stuff.
    Of course you should post it!
  3. You mention the Seasonic as the PSU but the link takes to a Silverstone PSU. Might want to correct that. The X4 955 BE will be good for another couple of years definitely. But you may need to upgrade the video card (more in case you want to game at higher resolutions). This looks a good value setup. I'll recommend the Corsair TX 650 V2 for the PSU. It is cheaper compared to the Seasonic model and of equal quality. You can even look towards getting 8 gigs of memory. They are pretty cheap.

    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173
  4. I'd say your build will suit you fine. I've got a similar setup with the 965 BE but I've got a different video card (GTX465). As for lasting for more than 2 years, I'd say no. I've also got a q8300 Core 2 Quad system that performs almost the same as my AMD, and it is only 2.5GHz and runs much cooler on a hot day. The current AMD is barely up to spec with the last generation Core 2 Intel chips.

    The only thing I'm really saying is if you want more than 2 years out of it and always want the latest games, then wait for Bulldozer and scope the pricing scene, or spend $50 more and go with a i5 Sandy Bridge setup. It's the current tech and it's already leaps and bounds ahead of the current AMD line for performance, price and heat.
  5. Ok, Thanks for the advice. I now have two new questions.

    1. Will RAM that is rated at DDR3 1600 work in a 1333 before an overclock?

    2. If I do opt for a sandy bridge setup, What motherboard would I use? I know a lot more about AMD processors than I do with Intel processors.
  6. Sorry for the double post, but looking at the 210-ish price mark for the i5 2500k how the heck am I going to stay under my $600 budget with a sandy bridge build? Any suggestions?
  7. bravehead said:



    I like your set up indeed seems a well rounded mid range gaming machine and at the res your playing at you will not have any problems at all in any games, the only consideration id give is to that Asus board posted by wisecracker.
  8. Oh and dont forget your Coolermaster 212 cpu cooler so you can Oc the hell out of your 955.
  9. The problem with the ASUS board posted earlier is that I can't run crossfire if I want to. Also will RAM that is rated at DDR3 1600 work in a 1333 before an overclock?

    EDIT: Would I be able to squeeze 3-4 years of gaming using that cpu? The x4 955 BE that is.
  10. Uther39 said:
    Oh and dont forget your Coolermaster 212 cpu cooler so you can Oc the hell out of your 955.


    How hard is that to build/install?
  11. bravehead said:
    1. Ok, But Is it worth waiting until Oct./Nov.
    2.I don't mean truly "Futureproof" I mean what processor will be sufficient for gaming in the next few years.

    3.Budget is $600 for the entire computer. The current build is $580. The budget for the entire CPU will be $135-ish. Unless I have to change the motherboard (ASrock 870 Extreme3) and the money not spent on the motherboard can be spent on the CPU.

    4.USA

    5. Dozens of games, Examples would be the games in the Total War series, Portal 2, Fallout: New Vegas.

    6. 1280 X 1024

    7. Do I really need 6 cores?

    8. 8 ghz is awesome but I don't think I'll need that if it is out of my price range.

    If you would like I can post my build.
    Thanks



    PC gaming is suffering from the effects of consoles. Todays group of consols are over 5 years old and so are their graphics systems. Since nobody builds games solely for PCs we must play the same games as the outdated console users play. Anything you build today will play games well into the future.
  12. bravehead said:
    Ok, Thanks for the advice. I now have two new questions.

    1. Will RAM that is rated at DDR3 1600 work in a 1333 before an overclock?



    Yes. No problem.
  13. I suggest if your looking to future proof and stick with AMD to maybe shell out a few more bucks and buy an AM3+ motherboard, it would leave you a little headroom to possibly upgrade to a Bulldozer processor when they arrive.
  14. ram1009 said:
    PC gaming is suffering from the effects of consoles. Todays group of consols are over 5 years old and so are their graphics systems. Since nobody builds games solely for PCs we must play the same games as the outdated console users play. Anything you build today will play games well into the future.


    Good point, But keep in mind that regardless of what graphics the consoles play on there are multitudes of great games for the PC that cannot be played on any other system.Also the ones that can be played on multiple platforms look and play better on strong PCs.

    On an entirely other topic, Is this good AM3+ motherboard?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733

    Compared to the AM3 Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198
  15. bravehead said:
    Good point, But keep in mind that regardless of what graphics the consoles play on there are multitudes of great games for the PC that cannot be played on any other system.Also the ones that can be played on multiple platforms look and play better on strong PCs.

    On an entirely other topic, Is this good AM3+ motherboard?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733

    Compared to the AM3 Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198



    I cannot speak to the quality of Azrock MBs. I use ASUS exclusively. The one you picked is nearly identical to the one I'm using right now. I've had no issues with it. You can judge the feature set. I will vouch for the quality. BTW, I know of no current games for PC only. If I'm wrong I'd like to know about it because their graphics will be superior.
  16. ram1009 said:
    I cannot speak to the quality of Azrock MBs. I use ASUS exclusively. The one you picked is nearly identical to the one I'm using right now. I've had no issues with it. You can judge the feature set. I will vouch for the quality. BTW, I know of no current games for PC only. If I'm wrong I'd like to know about it because their graphics will be superior.


    Seriously? Starcraft 2 is PC Only, Civilization 5 is PC Only, World of Warcraft is PC Only. And the AM3+ board is good? Is it worth spending all of the extra 40-50 dollars on?
  17. bravehead said:
    Seriously? Starcraft 2 is PC Only, Civilization 5 is PC Only, World of Warcraft is PC Only. And the AM3+ board is good? Is it worth spending all of the extra 40-50 dollars on?



    Oh, I forgot you don't know, I play FPS only. Are those current games? I'm not talking about games before consoles became so popular.

    I can't tell you if the ASUS is worth more than the Azrock because I know nothing about Azrock. Read the reviews on Newegg.
  18. bravehead said:
    How hard is that to build/install?



    Very easy.
  19. Quote:
    "The Asus AM3+ board u listed has 1 PCI-E x16, and another x16 running at x4, not good enough for CFX, but good enough for PhysX cards....
    IMO, it;s up to u, how soon will you be upgrading ur processor, if not just stay with a AM3 board and OC the F@ck outta the Phenom II "


    ^ +1

    Its well known for most Phenom2 to reach 4ghz easily on good air.
  20. Will OC-ing the crap out of that Phenom bring me anywhere close to a weak i5 or i3? More importantly, will that CPU bottleneck my performance if I get a good graphics card in the future?

    Thanks again!
  21. With a decent OC it will not bottlekneck even a GTX590
  22. Is it worth getting a AM3+ board because an upgrade to a decent Bulldozer would cost 200-300 dollars. That and I would probably upgrade to Windows 8 when I upgraded my CPU (So 1-2 years from now). But anything would be better than what my current computer is using: The AMD Phenom 8400 Triple-Core Processor 2.1 GHz.
  23. So just stick with my current build and just build a new computer in 2-3 years? (Sorry to keep dragging this thread on, but I still am unsure)
  24. Best answer
    Repeat after me: It's the video card ... It's the video card ... It's the video card.

    I like Crossfire, especially now with the scaling of the 6000-series cards -- but one of the biggest questions you are facing is your HD5750.

    It's already a generation behind and teetering on EOL -- soon to be two generations behind and gone. A single HD6850 whups an HD5750CF, and the 6850s are pricing at $140 and headed downward. The bottom may well fall below $100 when the 6850 goes final EOL.

    This essentially occurs with each generation of video cards and there is no reason to expect the upcoming 7000-series transition will be any different.

    So my advice to you is to focus less on the CPU, and figure out how you are going to handle your video card transition. My suggestion would be to drop the idea of the HD5750 Crossfire, and look to spending $100-$150 in 6-8 months, purchasing the best single 6000-series video card you can find (before they disappear). In the upper end of this price range, an HD6950 1GB may come into play.

    And my second suggestion would be going with an AM3+ motherboard, or at a minimum, an AM3 motherboard that has been qualified for Bulldozer. If you feel you must have Crossfire capability, don't 'F' around - consider the MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3 motherboard.

    And if you need to free up some cash to get there -- go with the AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz

    bravehead said:
    So just stick with my current build and just build a new computer in 2-3 years? (Sorry to keep dragging this thread on, but I still am unsure)


    Not really.

    The 890FX above will upgrade to Bulldozer when you are ready, and take any combination (as long as it's not SLI :lol: ) of video cards you care to throw at it for a long, long time.
  25. Wisecracker said:
    Repeat after me: It's the video card ... It's the video card ... It's the video card.

    I like Crossfire, especially now with the scaling of the 6000-series cards -- but one of the biggest questions you are facing is your HD5750.

    It's already a generation behind and teetering on EOL -- soon to be two generations behind and gone. A single HD6850 whups an HD5750CF, and the 6850s are pricing at $140 and headed downward. The bottom may well fall below $100 when the 6850 goes final EOL.

    This essentially occurs with each generation of video cards and there is no reason to expect the upcoming 7000-series transition will be any different.

    So my advice to you is to focus less on the CPU, and figure out how you are going to handle your video card transition. My suggestion would be to drop the idea of the HD5750 Crossfire, and look to spending $100-$150 in 6-8 months, purchasing the best single 6000-series video card you can find (before they disappear). In the upper end of this price range, an HD6950 1GB may come into play.

    And my second suggestion would be going with an AM3+ motherboard, or at a minimum, an AM3 motherboard that has been qualified for Bulldozer. If you feel you must have Crossfire capability, don't 'F' around - consider the MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3 motherboard.

    And if you need to free up some cash to get there -- go with the AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz


    Not really.

    The 890FX above will upgrade to Bulldozer when you are ready, and take any combination (as long as it's not SLI :lol: ) of video cards you care to throw at it for a long, long time.


    I got the HD 5750 sometime last year for 60 dollars off eBay. I will upgrade to 6xxx when I get enough cash for it. (So in the months following the building of my computer) I thought AMD announced that AM3 boards can't work with bulldozer because of the one bump/stud in the AM3 slot. I'd be willing to spend the extra money for the 890FX if it is worth it (And it looks like it is). It would make my build cost $630 rather than $580 but it looks worth it for the better RAM and capability to upgrade to Bulldozer. I'll probably stick with the 955 x4 though, I think its worth getting that extra core so I can run multiple programs at once with more ease.

    How difficult is it to build a computer with that motherboard?
  26. One final question, Why should I go for the MSI 890FX for the crosssfire on it of the ASrock board I posted earlier has crossfire at x8 x8?

    This ASrock board:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

    Thanks again!

    EDIT: I looked over the specs on the MSI board and saw that it had 2 PCIe slots both running at x16. Would I be able to crossfire at full power for both cards with that board? Sorry for the stupid question but I just wanna make sure that its worth the extra $40 for that board.
  27. The main reason to get a 890FX board is its guaranteed support for Bulldozer CPU's. The performance difference between 16X+16X and 8X+8X crossfire performance is usually 2~3 percent evident at very high resolutions.
  28. kajabla said:
    18. Of course it will be. Bulldozer is gonna be total high-end, expensive stuff.


    The preliminary pricing I saw had the fastest FX 8xxx series as being just about the same price as a 2600k, $330-ish, with 990 series mainboards the same cost as 890FX predecessors (understandable, given it is the same board rebadged with latest BIOS.....)

    Hardly 'high end' or really that 'expensive'...You want expensive check out pricing for 8 way Opterons, or i7-980x/990x processors....
  29. The X4 955 is a very popular choice for budget gaming rigs....

    Will it run Crysis 4 or BF 5 in 2016? No way to know....
  30. Excuse me.. I need your information all..
    what is the best motherboard and VGA for AMD phenom ii x4 955 BE..?
    is Ati Radeon HD 4650 good enough for playing game like CallOfDuty6,Left4Dead,and others online game.. ?
    please give me your suggestion.. Thanks before
  31. Here is the MSI 890FXA-GD65 Bulldozer support link with BIOS.

    In addition to more PCIe lanes off the northbridge, AMDs x90-FX motherboards tend to be a tad more 'heavy-duty' with better over-clocking headroom and more system options. The -GD65 is a 'lite' version in the FX-series - it doesn't have all the bells & whistles (options) of the higher-priced FX-series motherboards, but still offers x16/x16 graphics with 42 PCIe lanes off the northbridge (32 dedicated to graphics). And that is where the big distinction lies between it and the AsRock 870 (other than, support for Bulldozer, of course).

    The 870-chipset series has 22 PCIe lanes off the northbridge with 16 lanes dedicated to graphics. My understanding is that when you split those lanes to x8/x8 on the 870 mb chips, the second slot lanes must be shared with 'other' system resources. Ain't no system lane 'sharing' in that manner on the FX (nor, I believe, the 'GX' series of chipsets).

    The other thing going forward with x16/x16 is that the bandwidth effectively becomes x8/x8 PCIe Gen3 when it arrives in the next year or so. As others have noted the extra bandwidth gets yah maybe a boost of 5% these days with certain cards and games, but in 3 years with the new ATI 10k-series and your own personal 24 screen eyefinity holodeck, the extra bandwidth might come in handy -- LOL

    And you should have no issues building with any motherboard you choose -- just make sure you have future Bulldozer support and you will be quite a happy camper for years to come.
  32. Quote:
    Ever wondered What AMD would name Radeons after HD 9000 ?


    They'll either go back to the 1000s or go to the 10000s.

    Ok, Thanks for all of the help and support! Now lets hope I can actually manage to build it :whistle:
  33. Best answer selected by Bravehead.
  34. It won't be built until next month or so but I think I'm ready to build it. (I'm not buying the parts until next month)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Build Processors Product